Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    UCLA University Librarian's Powell Society Dinner (Personal Album)

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
UCLA University Librarian's Powell Society Dinner
 Login/Join

by jkt (created on )Gallery | Comments 
This evening, at their annual library donor's dinner UCLA had Ray as their honored guest. This was the first time that the event had more RSVPs than places to sit. A very special honor was given to Ray; UCLA has created a plaque that will be installed outside the former typing room where he wrote The Fireman and then Fahrenheit 451. Mr. B’s speech entertained the crowd, with many laughs and two ovations. Only Ray could tell a room of people at a top university that colleges are of no value…that all one needs is a library full of books.

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful! It's great to see the room in which he wrote this important work.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an Alumni of UCLA I am very proud that they have seen fit to recognize Ray for his historical use of the Powell Library. It is about time that this occurred. I am glad to see that Ray could attend the ceremony. I spend some time there myself, and in the Engineering Library in the old Boelter Hall building. Ah, those were very busy days for me.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should add that among the guests was a television personality who made a sizable donation to the library so it can substantially enlarge its own science fiction collection.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well done, jkt! (And well done Ray! And well done UCLA!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
I should add that among the guests was a television personality who made a sizable donation to the library so it can substantially enlarge its own science fiction collection.

Go on, please continue.

Sizable is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Go on, please continue...

OK, my baby-girl's high school English teacher, Miss Rose, was also at the event, who has been featured on '60 Minutes' because she is, now 91, still teaches and has donated millions to Palisades High over the years.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

posted Hide Post
Thank God for you Ray Bradbury! LIVE FOREVER! I feel so lucky just to know you through your books and to post on this forum with these wonderful fans, friends and family! Also, Fall is in the air and Halloween is coming... what could be better?

Posts: 126 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
OK, my baby-girl's high school English teacher, Miss Rose, was also at the event, who has been featured on '60 Minutes' because she is, now 91, still teaches and has donated millions to Palisades High over the years.

Oh, Miss Rose!

Millions on a school teacher's salary? Does that sound about right Frank? I don't recall that from when I was a school teacher.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by randomyork:
Fall is in the air and Halloween is coming... what could be better?

Very little.

"Live Forever!"