Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Farenheit 451
 Login/Join

posted
What is your favorite speech given from a charcter in the story and why?

Posts: 6 | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the best speech in the book was by The Fire Captain when he is explaing everything to Guy. You finally start to tell that The captain doesn't neccessarily agree with the laws either. Still, Guy is so shookin up, he has trouble.

Posts: 5 | Location: lemont, IL. United States | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the best speech in the book was the speech given by Faber to Montag. My reasoning for this is because he is explaining to Montag that there were 3 reasons why people needed books and this is why many people in their time are not happy with their lives even though they pretend to be.

Posts: 4 | Location: Lemont, Illinois, United States of America | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the best speech in the book was, when capitan Beatty explained the reasons why it is restricted to read. For the most part, Beatty may already know that Guy has a book. When Beatty explaned everything, i finnaly understood what the deal is with burning books.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite speech in the Ray Bradbury book f451 is the speech that faber gave to montag on books. In his speech he told guy that the answers are not in books. He also told him that in order to really read a book he has to know 3 things that books hold. Those three thing are books have the quality of infomation, and that they show the facts of life, two you have to have the leisure to digest what you read; and finally the right to carry out things based on what you have read.

Posts: 3 | Location: Lemont,illinios, USA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite part of speech throughout the book is when Beaty and Montag had their little fued using quotes from novels they have read or memorized. It showed a real intelligence considering they had memorized so many different types of speeches from the novels and how they used each quote in context. Irony was exposed in how Beaty could actually argue with Montag about something that he did not agree with, but in general, it was a good way of showing the truth behind what each person believed or knew.

Posts: 4 | Location: Lemont, IL, USa | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Eric Lund. Faber's speech said a lot to montag and made him think about the true thought on books. That is when Montag had to really think that maybe the world doesn't need books, but the message that they hold.

Posts: 4 | Location: Lemont, IL, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite quote was when Montag stole a book from the pile he was about to burn and then he realizes that he was changing and his mind was taking over.

Posts: 9 | Location: Lemont | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do agree with you, E. Ruzgaite. In my opinion the speech when Captain Beatty came over to Guy Montag's house was the most informing speech. Beatty said that people do not like to read because every book contrasts with a different book.
"Colored people don't like Little Black Sambo. Burn it. White people don't feel good about Uncle Tom's Cabin. Burn it." said Beatty. Out of this comment I imply that everyone is different. There are blacks, whites, smokers, non-smokers, etc. So when Beatty is telling Montag this, Beatty is getting to the point that if there are books, then controversy begins. The people don't want controversy, they just want happiness.
All of this explaining in this speech, like E. Ruzgaite, helped me understand why books were banned. No one cares about their own ideas, they just want to be controlled and have a planned life. Books add what people don't like, different thinking. So the solution to this is to burn books.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite speech had to of been the speech made by Clarisse in the beggining of the book. The speech that she said was "are you happy?" This was my favorite speech because it made the whole book come together. In the beggining of the book Guy Montag was soo happy with his job and wife and loved everything that he did, but when Clarisse asked him this question it was the change of the book.
This lead to many events that happend to make Guy montag realize that he wasn't happy at all. Some of the events that really sunk in to Montag were his wife taking the overdose, Clarisse getting in the car accident, The old lady willing to die for the books that she owned, and the main thing of Montag's passion for books. All these major events in the story all revolved around Clarisse's question/speech.
I think that if Clarisse didn't ask this question in the begining of the book then Guy Montag would still have his job and wife, but it was for the better in the end of the book. So this is just a small reason why i think this is a good speech.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post