Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
BralingII:

bipping!!?

bipping?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would you just listen to the wind in the eves and that echo in here on this cold thirteenth October eve. Someone stoke that fire back up in the hearth and start the merriment again. I too have caught the All Hallows fever and am bipping in and out of books with much ferver and whimsy. Frankenstein, Dracula, and a non-fiction piece on the Salem witch trials. Will get back to Count of Monte Cristo after the other Count and hopefully Farewell Summer too!

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nardster, yes one bips from time to time, doesn't one?

Botster, Enjoy your Autumnal reading, but don't leave the poor Count overlong languishing in durance vile!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shan't, I promise!

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grass? Are you still here? Haven't seen a post for a while.

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
I received Farewell Summer which I ordered in Feb. I started reading the first passages and had to read again, I hope the rest of it is as tasty! This website is acting up I think, I have posted stuff and it is either disappearing or delayed. Anyway, Thanks Ray!

Grass, you still here??

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
Happy reading, Robot Lincoln.

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Diddly Ho, I'm abso-diddly doodly still here. Gotta love that Ned Flanders.

Been looking for work. I hate my job. Every minute on this computer is one more minute wasted not looking to improve my pathetic job situation. Miss you guys. Plowing through Allen Steele and pulled a Robo by picking up another novel for no good reason what-so-ever, now I find myself immersed in two completely different works... annnnd loving it. LOVE IT!!! "Books, books, I love books--sing this song and get strange looks. Cooks, cooks, I hate cooks--I'd be more happy stocking books."

I get "High Castle" off to you soon, Robo. Remember, the book may be more effective if you brush up on that WWII. I really wanted to like that book, but it just never grabbed a hold of me. Perhaps you'll do better.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grasstains!!! Heydy-Ho right back-atcha. ...I'd rather be stocking books. Did you make that up??? That was awesome either way! Good luck in finding a good job. Go after something you think you'll like, say a prayer. It works! About the books, I am well honed in WWII. My fathers uncle was captured by the Germans, became a p.o.w. and marched all across Germany. I researched and traced his whole history over there using his official papers and letters he sent back. My dad's cousin was very helpful to me in my search. Ironically, he had little interest in it, he was much more into The Civil War. Regarding our mutual problem of picking up books off the stack and reading multiple books. My affliction is worsening I'm afraid. Here's what I am currently reading. Farewell Summer, Frankenstein, Dracula, Count of Monte Cristo, and of all things, I started reading Communion by Strieber tonight. Just finished a non fiction book on the Salem witch trials too. I have three massive shelves of books in my office and a huge pile on the floor. I think I am going to box up the ones on the floor if I cannot stop. Too easy to just pick up one on my way to and from. Getting sleeeeepy now so I better skedaddle.

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post

Sidney Sheldon died this afternoon, in
Rancho Mirage, Calfornia. I believe he
attended the Santa Barbara Writer's
Conference on a couple occasions, the
one that Ray Bradbury spoke as the
opening conference speaker for many
years. Sidney Sheldon was mentioned
a couple times in the postings in this
particular forum. Sidney Sheldon dead
at eighty nine years old.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sycamore Row, John Grisham
Page turner of classic style with deep "Southern" twist & turns from cover to cover

Something Wicked This Way Comes, RB
Re-visit of an eerily poetic tale, powerful conclusion with Love overcoming evil

Treasure in Clay, Fulton J. Sheen
Spiritual life journey of a highly inspirational Book-person and religious teacher

Zen in the Art of Archery, Eugen Herrigel
Empty the vessel! Patience, patience....more patience. .
(Alluded to as a motivation for RB's writing efforts!)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer. Fascinating book!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DS: After a quick review - a webbed, conflict driven plot indeed...
Derivation of the title is interesting, also.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
DS: After a quick review - a webbed, conflict driven plot indeed...
Derivation of the title is interesting, also.

Yes, it is! The title comes from the church's third president:

"We believe in honesty, morality, and purity; but when they enact tyrannical laws, forbidding us the free exercise of our religion, we cannot submit. God is greater than the United States, and when the Government conflicts with heaven, we will be ranged under the banner of heaven and against the Government. Polygamy is a divine institution. It has been banded down direct from God. The United States cannot abolish it. No nation on the earth can prevent it, nor all the nations of the earth combined. I defy the United States; I will obey God."

~ John Taylor (on January 4, 1880), president, prophet, seer, and revelator, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

It's a real page-turner. Pick it up and you won't want to put it down. It's a classic true-crime tome in the fashion of In Cold Blood, intermingled with religious history (to show how the brothers Lafferty came to be where they wound up).

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doctor Sleep by Steve. It's another really good one from him. I was over visiting Bill Nolan a couple weeks ago and he mentioned that he had just read it, too. He's a fan, as is Mr King of him.

"Live Forever!"