Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Quite a cross-section, but each purposefully stepping away from the modern techno-media slants and blasts that seem to deluge our daily means! (a la, The Murderer!)

Dear Wit: Letters from The World's Wit
-H. Jack Lang
http://www.amazon.com/Dear-Wit....amazon.com/Dear-Wit

You Can Find a Way
-Patrick Mahony
http://www.amazon.com/You-can-...timism/dp/B0007E5L7Q

Blue Highways: A Journey Into America
-William Least Heat Moon
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Hig...merica/dp/0316353299

The Difference Maker
-John C. Maxwell
http://www.amazon.com/The-Diff...eatest/dp/0785260986

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by grasstains:
Just thought I'd throw this out there to give each of us, mainly me, a chance to talk about ourselves. <br /><br />What book are you reading currently?<br />What book did you just finish?<br />What book will you read next?<br /><br />

Currently I am reading the collected works of Ray Bradbury's Short stories.

Finished book: The Cat who walks through walls. - Robert A. Heinlein

Next Book: Rereading Strands of Starlight Series. (Strands of Starlight, Maze of Moonlight, Shrouds of Shadows and Strands of Sunlight, Gail Baudino (1989-1992) It is of print. Can be obtained in library or used bookstore.

In between reading... Smiler I write stories at www.Writing.com and www. Nicestories.com. Currently working on my own writing of a serial called Yamato: The new adventure. It is a fan fiction piece sequel for the move "Final Yamato" AKA Starblazers. It is an anime that came out in 76' in US and had three seasons to the series on TV. BUT there are 5 movies to the series that span 2199 to 2207 AD, through the three TV series seasons and continue on after. There are not too many people know about the movies that finishes out the series that was produced for TV.

I was inspired to sequel the final movie with a serial... It is a 7 part mini serial that has resemblance to the T.V/Movie Mini series from James Clavell called "Shogun".. It is in the same series format.

Also working on a novella for another series and happens to be Strands of Starlight, a fan fiction piece that spans between Gail Baudino's first and second book, also after her last book. It features three tomes of Elvish Language, and is a fantasy piece.

I am having lots of fun writing than reading, but i have been trying to read a lot and review at Writing.com where you can find some fairly decent amateur pieces. A place for great inspiration with contests, resources and literature tips for new amateur to professional authors.

Hope to see you there, its a great site. (not my site but a good writing resource for both reading writing and editing.)

FA Nathaniel A. Miller, USN Ret.

Posts: 6 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 28 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Becoming Ray Bradbury, Jon Eller
Valhalla Rising, Clive Cussler
Abundant Peace (Bio of Morihei Ueshiba), John Stevens

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Always practice the Art of Peace in a vibrant and joyful manner." Morihei Ueshiba, The Art of Peace, trans. John Stevens.
Happy reading fjp451, sounds cool.

The Clan of the Cave Bear, Jean M. Auel

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yay, Harlan!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream". What a great story. I loved it when I read it. Just like, "A Boy and His Dog". There were some great short stories in those days!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just started "Nolan on Bradbury."

Posts: 109 | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, my friends, for having neglected this page for so long.
But now, it is October!
Leaves are turning and falling, the light is changing, the air is exhilarating, and we've had some rain!
I do so love Autumn!
And so I begin my annual ritual of reading The Man's wonderful stories that touch my entire being like those of no other.
Blessings on you all!
(I think I'll begin with The Illustrated Man....)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dark Carnival by Ray Bradbury.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Good One, DS!

Here! Last evening I was presented with a Fall Issue 1948, Planet Stories.
"When Konnes Screamed" Gardner F. Fox
"Mars is Heaven" Ray Bradbury
Preview of Peril" A. Bertrand Chandler
"Brooklyn Project" William Tenn
"Synthetic Hero" Erik Fennel
"Against the Stone Beasts" James Blish
"Valkyrie from the Void" Basil Wells

It is a real trip back in time merely holding the collection with its rough textured, well-tanned pages. The main original artwork is a special treasure: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_s_rd...600/planetfall48.jpg

It must have inspired:
http://i1.wp.com/www.tor.com/w...=0%2C0%2C100%2C410px

And this (original painting) which we viewed with Dr. Eller at UIPUI this summer: http://i1.wp.com/www.tor.com/w...=0%2C0%2C100%2C572px

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Here! Last evening I was presented with a Fall Issue 1948, Planet Stories.
"Mars is Heaven" Ray Bradbury

I have that one! I had Mr B sign it for me. And Forry, too, just for the heck of it.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Station Eleven by Emily St John mandel. George R R Martin picked it as a Hugo front runner. I liked it, but not that much.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 11 October 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read Sam Weller's "Ray Bradbury: The Last Interview and Other Conversations". Very good. Now I'm reading "Searching for Ray Bradbury: Writings about the Writer and the Man". by Steven Paul Leiva. So far, so good.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post