Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The Favorite Movies / Movies You've Seen Lately / Holster That Flamethrower Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Favorite Movies / Movies You've Seen Lately / Holster That Flamethrower Thread
 Login/Join

posted
My faves
================================================

1) THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (1939) Laughton, O'Hara

2) RAISING ARIZONA

3) MARY SHELLEY'S FRANKENSTEIN (1995) Brannaugh, DeNiro

4) DESTROY ALL MONSTERS - Godzilla

5) GAMERA: Guadian Of The Universe (1997)

6) INVADERS FROM MARS (1953)

7) THEM (1954)

8) INVASION OF THE BODYSNATCHERS (1956)

9) THE BLOB (1958)

10) LABYRINTH

11) ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES (1938) - Cagney, Bogart

12) THE ROARING TWENTIES (1939) - Cagney, Bogart

13) JOHNNY DANGEROUSLY - Michael Keaton, Peter Boyle, Joe Piscopo

14) MONTY PYTHON'S HOLY GRAIL

15) LITTLE BIG MAN - Dustin Hoffman

16) THE BEAR

17) ENEMY MINE - Dennis Quaid, Louis Gosset Jr.

18) STAR TREK II The Wrath Of Kahn

19) STAR TREK III The Search For Spock

20) STAR TREK V The Final Frontier

And TREMORS

"I don't know anything."

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, how could I ever forget these?

21) POLTERGEIST

22) POLTERGEIST II

23) CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND

24) JAWS

25) HELLRAISER

26) HELLRAISER II

27) THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY

28) OUTLAW JOSEY WALES

29) ANTZ

30) THE IRON GIANT

To post you have to scroll to the right.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch it! This could turn into a very large list of very large lists!

Ah, what the heck.
If I decide to contribute, though, it's going to take some time to prepare...My favourites go back to the Silent Era!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get out of my way.

31) MY SCIENCE PROJECT

32) THE YELLOW SUBMARINE

33) ERNEST SCARED STUPID

34) ERNEST GOES TO CAMP

35) SHE'S HAVING A BABY

36) ENCINO MAN

37) PUMP UP THE VOLUME

38) LEGENDS OF THE FALL

39) TWENTY THOUSAND LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA - James Mason, Kirk Douglas

40) THE BUCCANEER (1958) - Yul Brynner

"I don't know anything."

posted Hide Post
Off the top:

TOP 10 FAVORITES: Listed order not absolutely locked in that order

(1) EXORCIST
(the original). Saw it 12 times in its initial showing at the movies. Perfect movie. (Later version a disaster!)
(2) CHARIOTS OF FIRE
(after the first 1 minute, I realized THIS was special.) Saw it 20 times since. A great movie NOT about running!!! But about the things a Jew and a Christian hold most dear.
(3) 1776
(saw this 10 times in the initial showing at the theaters. )Music/lyrics inspired. At times, only one in the theater. Not commercially successful as a motion picture, but as a stageplay. But the movie is beautiful nonetheless.
(4) DARK CITY
(2001) directed by Alex Proyas. wOw! Turn off the lights, be alone in the house, and watch this movie. Now THIS is what I call scary!!!!
(5) BARTON FINK
by the Cohen Brothers. A near perfect film. The last scene cannot be described other than priceless. But you have to see the entire movie to appreciate it.
(6) FARGO
Another Cohen Brothers movie. Stunning!
(7) O, BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU
I find this movie just wonderful movie making.
(8) WATERWORLD
You can tune into any part of this movie, have a TV dinner, and be entertained. I like its versatilty in this regard. Worldwide it made it's money back and then some.
(9) SUNSET BOULEVARD
Gloria Swanson where are you today?
(10) THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES
Brilliant movie of returning GI's from World War 2. Filmed in 1946, this is as real a movie about real people and real life as you will find anywhere. NOTE: I'd say to a younger crowd out there, if you want to get a piece of what the hopes and dreams of American life used to look like after a War where 65 + million people died, tune-in this nearly 3 hr. MASTERPIECE. (For those impressed, it also won ' 7 Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

Most recent movies are just plain catch our attention and mesmerize us... and MORE:

Saving Private Ryan
War of the Worlds
Minority Report
Ronan
Midnight Express
Close Encounters of a Third Kind
Happy Feet
etc
etc.

(And many are just plain entertaining. Period!!)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vote for Pedro.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
My favourites go back to the Silent Era!

Mine too, in fact, my favourite comedy is a beautiful 1931 piece of celluloid called City Lights.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
WATERWORLD

Haven't seen it - heard it was one of the worse pictures of that (or any) year.

No?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not long before he died, Gene Siskle said FARGO was the closest thing to the "perfect" film he'd ever seen. So, being a big fan of RAISING ARIZONA, I ran out to see it. And hated it. I went in expecting a quirky, dark comedy like RAISING ARIZONA and ended up seeing something which more resembled PULP FICTION.

Just me, I usually hate the ones everybody else likes and love the ones the critics and everybody else hate. Like STAR TREK, my favorite is the one (V) where Spock's brother hijacks the Enterprise to take a trip to go see God. Everybody hates that one and most people seem to like the one with the whales (IV) and the time-travel. I hate that one almost as much as the first one. SPOCK ON A TROLLEY!!!

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
Not long before he died, Gene Siskle said FARGO was the closest thing to the "perfect" film he'd ever seen. So, being a big fan of RAISING ARIZONA, I ran out to see it. And hated it. I went in expecting a quirky, dark comedy like RAISING ARIZONA and ended up seeing something which more resembled PULP FICTION.

Another one Siskel loved: Babe: Pig in the City - brilliant!

Pulp Fiction was brilliant - almost as brilliant as Fargo.

quote:
I hate that one almost as much as the first one.

Star Trek 4 was my favourite.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I know, I know, everybody likes that one. It just freaks me out seeing them in the here-and-now when they should be out there, star trekking.

The movie did provide me with that great exclamation of surprise--SPOCK ON A TROLLEY!!!

posted Hide Post
DS, City Lights has come up before here on the old board-a-roonie. That last shot of Chaplin...wow...one of the most powerful images on film.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
That last shot of Chaplin...wow...one of the most powerful images on film.

You got that right, sir!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
The movie did provide me with that great exclamation of surprise--SPOCK ON A TROLLEY!!!

Also provided us with that wonderful line (imagine Scottish accent): "A keyboard - how quaint."

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Music is a huge part of the movie experience for me. If the music isn't right, I just don't enjoy the movie as much. A perfect example is the movie WITNESS--great screenplay, script, cinematography, performances... extremely dated soundtrack. This used to be my favorite movie up until about ten years ago. The syntho soundtrack works for me in some films (CHARIOTS OF FIRE, BLADERUNNER) but for some reason it now ruins WITNESS for me.

While watching WOLF (Nicholson, Spader) I was in the theatre tripping out during the very intense big bad wolf showdown between the two werewolves because the soundtrack inexplicably had this cool jazzy saxaphone music. I blurted out (the only time in my life I've done this) "SAXAPHONE?!?" .