Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Another story title?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another story title?
 Login/Join

posted
A pal sent me a Bradbury story about a year ago (I returned the book it was in after I read it). Seemed to be a non-fiction piece, or a fictionalized biographical piece, about Ray encountering a fellow when he was a very young man who was gay. An intense story, I've somehow forgotten the title, and where it appeared. I'd ask my pal, but he goes into a hidey-hole for a week or two while he does his taxes.

To me, the story is indicative of Bradbury's compassion and tolerance for other people.

Posts: 69 | Location: Matthews, NC, USA | Registered: 20 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might that be "Tangerine," from One More For the Road Collection (2002)?

Setting was in a restaurant and the friend had great ambitions to be an author. RB recognized it as genius and then the friend was never seen again until the chance meeting at dinner.

One man Mr. Bradbury seemed to have had very little tolerance of was John Huston. In his biographic film Ray Bradbury: An American Icon, you can feel the anger/hurt still in his voice when he recounted the time they spent in Ireland making Moby Dick. (I believe RB was 75 when the film was made.) Of course, The Banshee is a story that was born of that experience.

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Huston took advantage of Bradbury. It was, as I understand it, Bradbury's screenplay, but didn't Huston take credit for it? Or place his name prominently on the screenplay when he should not have done so?

Posts: 69 | Location: Matthews, NC, USA | Registered: 20 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post