Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Please help identify this RB short story

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help identify this RB short story
 Login/Join

posted
Young man in a city, whose "real" life seems to him to be missing all his targets, boards a train to "anywhere" and jumps off it while it slows through a whistlestop station. Consequently he discovers the place is a colony of refugee immortals, and discovers what is immortal in his own life.

Thanks.

Amby

Posts: 4 | Registered: 01 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first part is "The Town Where No One Got Off," by Ray Bradbury. Second part, absolutely no idea.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a partial similarity to "Somewhere a Band is Playing", one of two novellas in Bradbury's book Now and Forever.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you both kindly! I apologise for my delay in responding. Yes, the story came in "Now and Forever", so it must be "Somewhere a band..."! I appreciate that Phil. Actually I thought my precis was pretty accurate and insightful!lol ;-))

posted Hide Post
You probably WERE totally accurate, but it's been a while since I read it. What sticks in my mind are some of the images (mainly the sunflower and the horse that always manages to find the correct route all by itself) rather than the plot!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
haha! I read it maybe 6mo ago, and I remember the very feminine ambiance, and the old fashioned food (two of the main reasons RB wrote it I reckon!).

posted Hide Post
That would explain why I didn't get it. Way behind on my reading.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, you know, a lot of RB I can only sip and nibble at, like I would his favourite party fare - cream, honey and spices, with a secretive little lacing of dangerous, taboo, dark sherry! lol It had been a score of years for me between such treats. And I am right now again for a while, put on a top up of fat. I wouldn't be without RB, and it's comforting to have him there in the cellar, maturing... It's a certainty that he will be brought up to celebrate with again. And again. And finally, as a viaticum...