Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Nicely Written!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nicely Written!
 Login/Join

posted
Here, let's post passages across which we come whilst reading - passages which are particularly well-written, whether by RB or anyone.

Could be a sentence, or could be a paragraph.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good idea - I'll start!

So much was going on that Tom said: "My gosh, so much is going on!"

- Bradbury, The Halloween Tree

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, just one more now I'm on the book:

Summer fell dead. Winter put it in the grave.

- Bradbury, The Halloween Tree

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
The wind flew Jim away.
A similar kite, Will swooped to follow.

- Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
The two boys, boxed in light-slotted pit, hisstled their breath softly out through gritted teeth.

- Something Wicked This Way Comes

Any passage which uses the word 'hisstled' has got to be recognized!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
His blood slowed, by instinct alone, to a pudding in his chest.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
...the Witch stopped, her shadow falling moist-frog cool on the hidden boys.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
As I continue to read this amazing book, I offer more beauty:

A shadow moved among shadows. Charles Halloway felt his soul submerge.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Where are my two precious human books, so I may turn their pages, eh?"

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
DS, I am currently re-visiting SWTWC and am really enjoying its poetry, page by page. I have found that the best time for me to read undistracted is after mid-night...it also adds to the book's images and the tone, I find!

This last night passage (after being amazed all over again by RB's details of the old wooden boardwalk "...it had been there ever since Will remembered, since civilization unthinkingly poured forth the dull hard unresisting cement sidewalks.")

"Jim skimmed like a dark owl after a mouse. Will hopped like a weaponless hunter after the owl. They sailed their shadows over October lawns."

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
DS, I am currently re-visiting SWTWC and am really enjoying its poetry, page by page. I have found that the best time for me to read undistracted is after mid-night...

If I tried that trick, I would find myself awakening at the Soul's Midnight, neck all a-crook and wondering why I didn't leave the late-nighters to the kids! I get sleepy at 9.30 - but then I wake up at 5.30, so there you have it.

Ye gods, yes! The imagery is perhaps his most pronounced of all his works. It's incredible, it's poetic, all filled with black and white magicks. Most writers could write all day and not come up with most of these passages.

Something Wicked This Way Comes is the longest poem I have ever read!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
...out of one nightmare, and fresh into the next...

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
.... the feeling of high destiny.... the quickness of life after what seemed a drugged existence.

"Desertion"
by Clifford Simak

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The horse troops clopped by and battalions of drums, then a band of bagpipes, which we had never heard before, so she drew a picture on the blackboard. We recognized it instantly as a penis and scrotum, and so did she when she heard the buzz and stepped back for a look, so she made the bag rounder and made the pipe stand up, which fascinated us even more, and finally she erased it and turned and said, her face glowing, "Small minds think small thoughts."

Let's make this more participatory, shall we? Guess from which work this comes.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
So guess.

Here's another beautiful passage:

My mind had been on eternal things for a while, at least on death, the door to eternity. I knew that dead people were buried in boxes in the ground, and I often wondered what they did there, in the dark with no food, no radio, no books. Grownups did have, I knew, an ability to sit still for a long time, but death seemed like quite a feat even for them, even knowing that the Lord would come and get them and they would fly up to heaven.

"Live Forever!"