Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

True love?
 Login/Join

posted
In Ray Bradburys novel, Fahrenheit 451, do you believe that Mildred and Montag are truly in love, or are they just living together, but are in their own worlds?

Posts: 6 | Location: Lemont, Il, US | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that in some weird way Mildred and Montag are in love. They may not be truly in love, but I think that there is something. To start, they really don't talk with each other. Also they don't sleep in the same bed, and most married couples do. If Mildred was truly in love I don't think that she would be popping sleeping pills like they were candy. I dont think that she would be depressed either. In another way i think that something is there because she sits with Montag and reads the books with him. When Beatty comes over to see if Montag is coming to work she sees the book under the pillow and doesn't say anything. So i think that there could be something there.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that Mildred loves Montag but Montag cant see it. Mildred is trying, but not too hard to stay in love with her husband, but is afraid to interfer because it could risk their relationship. Montag is so entirley busy at the firehouse and "exploring" that they never have time to talk to each other. That is how their relationship is dying and its just getting worse and worse. At some parts of the book though, it seems like Montag does not really care what happens to Mildred, so it doesnt really seem like he cares for her but she most definitley cares for him. And maybe if she showed him more that she cared for him, he would then care for her.

Posts: 4 | Location: Lemont, IL, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is true love, it just doesn't show. Mildred is deeply terrified of following Montag because she knows that she is risking her life. Montag and Mildred once loved eachother, but I think that over the years, the burning of books made Mildred a little crazy. In a way they both live with eachother, but don't exactly communicate, it is as if they are in their own worlds. I think the true, deep love turned into just being able to stand eachother.

Posts: 6 | Location: Lemont, Il, US | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they arent inlove but there are some parts of the book where mildred gives hints to loving him. When montag asked asked her to help him with reading the books... at first she was hesitant. But montag then says you'll do this for me if you love me. Mildred did help him read, but she did also later on turned montag in for possesions of books. When they showed up at thier house, Mildred took off. Its also like mildred only cares about herself and if shes happy. She spends all her time with her "parlor family" and pays no attention to montag. In the very beginning they were laying in bed, and neither of them could remeber where they first met. I don't think they r "inlove" beacause it more of so seems as if they just live together. There is no affection shown, its as if mildred is scared or doesnt know how to love.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 23 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think mildred and montag think that they're in love just because they're married. I don't think that's the case at all. From reading the book they don't show that great of emotion towards each other. Maybe marriage is something that the media proclaims to all and its just something to "Do", and that no one really falls in love anymore. Thats like today. People go through so many divorces now. It's as if the first one was juss pratice and now there actually ready to commit.

Posts: 4 | Location: Lemont | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that they are actually in love but they don't show it that much. Once in the story Montag asked her to do something if she loves him. Well she ends up doing it and it shows that she loves him. Its tough to say how much Montag loves Mildred because of the fact he never showed to much emotion to her at all. I don't think he ever said or did anything to show that he loved or even cared about Mildred. I'm not sure why they were ever together in the first place but whatever it is I think they love each other very much no matter if they show it or not.

Posts: 9 | Location: Lemont | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont believe that Montag and Mildred are in love. They obviously arent happy with eachother. They dont even seem comfortable with eachother, they dont even sleep in the same bed. I'm sure that they did at one point have feeling for eachother, and maybe they still do. There just isnt anything holding them together. At the end when Mildred turns in Montag it sort of proves that they werent right together. They cared for eachother but werent trully in love with eachother!

Posts: 3 | Location: woodridge, il, usa | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think in 451 Montag and MIldred are not truly in love if they were they would sleep in the same bed and show their love. I think in this book Mildred was very distint and cold and Bradbury wanted to protrait women like that.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 03 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well, i think they're in their own world. but, to me i think that montag wants to get out of that relationship, but he just don't know how. the thing with mildred is that she don't feel the love that was once there, that's why i think she told on him. if their was love that once was there, she would have never told on him. she wanted to free herself from him befroe they get to old to remember why they got married in the first place.montag is always out and mildred is always in the parlor or listening to those seashells.

Posts: 5 | Location: downersgrove, il, dupage | Registered: 03 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post