Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The Panic Room.
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Panic Room.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Chapter 31 came in and was stomping the snow off his shoes and hanging his hat and coat up on one of the pegs by the door just as Sam Clemens was making a point by throwing his cigar into the fireplace.

“Confound it! I say the wheel is too big.”

Alexander Graham Bell, sitting across the table from him smiled. “But, Sam, you must realize that the front wheel on a natural bicycle is large to make it easier to climb hills.”

“Climbing hills be darned. My environs around Hartford are mostly flat and if there is a hill I’ll walk the contraption up. The thing is a good way to work up an excitement but I prefer to be closer to the firmament when I’m traveling and the falls I’ve been taking off it are troubling my posterior.

Chapter 31 was still stomping his feet and Sam looked over. “Say there, Chap, how is it that it’s April and you're recovering from a snowfall?”

“Well, Mr. Clemens, this is the Panic Room and your imagination is the only boundary here, right?”

“Imagine away, Chap, but warmer thoughts would be a comfort.” Sam now saw Chapter 31 wearing a Panama suit and hat and sporting sunglasses.

“Have you gentlemen heard about Ray Bradbury getting the Pulitzer? “ asked Chapter 31.

Bell said he had and was happy about it and Clemens said he had heard also and that Bradbury had made a shining success of his life and that it was about time we all drank a toast to it. “Where is that Rocketman,” he asked. “Rocket,” he bellowed.

Rocket appeared wearing only swimming trunks and holding a tray and asked what their order would be.

“Rocket,” said Sam. “I noticed that last bit of prose you posted on the Internet.”

“Yes, sir.”

“It was a triumph. I could reflect two weeks on its warmth.”

Rocket looked a little warmer now himself. “Thank you, sir.”

He took the order and the drinks came and everyone lifted their glasses high. “To Ray Bradbury. A conductor of light.”

Over by the hearth, the party animal Dickens was already illuminated.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry Chap, I just noticed this little gem. I loved it! Thanks!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm angry because I cant come to terms with a friend of mine marriage and his absence from my life, and he got married maybe two years ago. I cant replace him, and I miss him terribly.

there. I said it.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain, Your Wildness.
There is a better plan for you, though, so be of good cheer! After I got married, many women cried out in anguish from the depths of a heretofore unimagined despair, but they all got over it eventually!

Here's an inspirational poem for you:

How to be happy (author unknown)

Are you almost disgusted with life, little man?
I'll tell you a wonderful trick
that will bring you contentment, if anything can
Do something for somebody, quick!

Are you awfully tired with play, little girl?
Wearied, discouraged, and sick-
I'll tell you the loveliest game in the world,
Do something for somebody quick!

Though it rains like the rain of the flood, little man
and the clouds are forbidding and thick,
You can make the sun shine in your soul, little man

Though the stars are like brass overhead, little girl,
and the walks like a well-heated brick
and our earthly affairs in a terrible whirl,

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildGravity:
I'm angry because I cant come to terms with a friend of mine marriage and his absence from my life, and he got married maybe two years ago.

Yeah, they'll do that when they marry, but the very bestest of friends will always remain close, marriage notwithstanding.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not if his wife has anything to do with it.

Believe me. She won.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not if his wife has anything to do with it.

Believe me. She won.

Well, this brings up a whole other...nevermind, we'll talk on email.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure thing.

posted Hide Post
Most people in our culture, especially men, have forgotten how to be friends. Real friendship (as we used to know it) has become difficult betwen those of the same sex and impossible between those of the opposite sex.

WG, I hope you read the poem. It helps me sometimes.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, Braling. I have never found great difficulty becoming close friends with males, without the question of romance or sexuality coming, but unfortunately, that isnt always reciprocated, or precieved the same way as i precieve it.

oh and which poem?

posted Hide Post
WG, scroll up a bit to my 7:28 am post...

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have never found great difficulty becoming close friends with males..

That's because you (sound like you) are cool, and that's a rarity in females, almost like a male in a female body (all the fun, none of the baggage).

For the most part, females tend to be suspicious (of your relationships with other females), overly emotional, clingy, etcetera. At least I have found this to be true.

When you find that rare treasure of a girl who acts like a guy and looks like a girl, then you've found something!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Disclaimer: My last post was not intended to be derogatory towards any female onboard - from what I've seen, you're all cool!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
....but YOU are Maggie the cat. Your resilience and tenacity can only push you onward to something and someone better. Your young also, this will be nothing but a blip on the screen of your life someday soon.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TRY to let it go, try hard. Your holding on, relaxe your hold on it.