Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Martian Chronicles
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martian Chronicles
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Did any of you guys think that the stories that came from the Martian Chronicles got represented very well w/ the Ray Bradbury Theater T.V.Show or not ?

Posts: 7 | Registered: 22 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the scripts were pretty good for the Martian episodes, and the acting was generally fine. Sometimes the production values were a bit embarrassing.

I thought "The Third Expedition"/"Mars is Heaven" was probably the best one.

I've reviewed a couple of the others here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love alot of Bradbury's stuff including the Films & the T.V.Show,but don't really understand why so many people just don't like the adaptation of the Martian Chronicles,what was wrong w/ it exactly ?

Posts: 7 | Registered: 22 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greencomet1379:
...but don't really understand why so many people just don't like the adaptation of the Martian Chronicles,what was wrong w/ it exactly ?

It was boring, which makes it a big letdown considering it's my favourite book.

RB himself says this. Next time I see him, I'm going to ask what he thinks happened, as Richard Matheson wrote the screenplay, and I think we all know RM is a fine writer.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wrote to Richard Matheson a few months ago, asking what he thought of the MC TV series. Alas, no response.

I would heap most of the blame on the director, Michael Anderson, whose previous attempts at science fiction were a bit dodgy.

(Dodgy is a good word.)

(I like that the British say "dodgy".)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray has said that he has no problem with Richard Matheson's script for the MARTIAN CHRONICLES mini-series. He has also said that he thinks Michael Anderson was a pretty pedestrian director, and that the blame for the boring nature of much of the series may lie there. I personally think that it was the lack of production values and the failure to spend the necessary money on sets, costumes and special effects that contributed the most to the series' lack of success. Hopefully, the book will be filmed again, with the requisite budget, and done well!

Posts: 2452 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard: The first 15 minutes or so were pretty gosh darn good. (Was 3 (three, count-em!) days long mini-series, however!) Great looking Martians! In fact, they were on the cover of that weeks' TV Guide style version in the Los Angeles Times. Maybe Phil (philnic) has a photo somewheres on his great website.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
...Maybe Phil (philnic) has a photo somewheres on his great website.

Afraid not. But a quick Google Images search brought up these little-known Martian Chronicles action figures:

(More information on these at the Mego Museum!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
And lots of frame grabs on this French website:
http://marsmovies.free.fr/mchron2.html
http://marsmovies.free.fr/mchron3.html
http://marsmovies.free.fr/mchron4.html
http://marsmovies.free.fr/mchron5.html

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Alas, no response.

Alas is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
Ray has said that he has no problem with Richard Matheson's script for the MARTIAN CHRONICLES mini-series. He has also said that he thinks Michael Anderson was a pretty pedestrian director, and that the blame for the boring nature of much of the series may lie there. I personally think that it was the lack of production values and the failure to spend the necessary money on sets, costumes and special effects that contributed the most to the series' lack of success. Hopefully, the book will be filmed again, with the requisite budget, and done well!

I concur with what you say. The picture had the look of very "eighties TV miniseries", but then that's what it was. It should be remade due to these shortcomings, and Ray tells me that Universal has "seventeen scripts on it!"

His words: "We'll colonize Mars before the goddamn movie gets made!"

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Hey Doug, Martian Chronicles is my fav too! With F-451 a close second, then Dandelion, Wicked, Illustrated, October.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post