Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Time Magazine's All-Time Best 100 Novels

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time Magazine's All-Time Best 100 Novels
 Login/Join

posted
Best or most influential novels in English published since 1923.

http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/the_complete_list.html

How Ray Bradbury and Thomas Wolfe didn't make this and a bunch I haven't heard of or would find questionable (Judy Blume, for crying out loud?) did is beyond me.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I give them this, the got The Adventures of Augie March correct, it was an influential novel in my earlier days. But no Ray? Come on, it must be based on awards, and total sales numbers or something stupid like that. Dandelion Wine and the Martian Chronicles should be on anyones list of the most influential books of the last 100 years. I wouldn't object to Fahrenhiet 451 either, it has certainly been read by many in school rooms across the country. Come on Time, get it right!

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely could not believe that "Look Homeward, Angel," which revolutionized American prose, and "Fahrenheit 451," one of the great idea novels of all time, didn't make that list!

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm flabbergasted.

Maybe they just didn't want another dystopian novel. I think there was an effort made to choose SF novels that those guys felt defined particular eras. From their choices, I doubt they read much SF.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My gasts are pretty well flabbered too.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't get all bent out of shape because TIME didn't list Ray.
There is an article about how they came about this list.

Then there is this link, as well, listing wherever Ray Bradbury was mentioned in some way in TIME magazine. And personal comments as well, like Ray's comment: "I think William Styron and Peter Matthiessen are literary snobs!!" Maybe that's all it takes to get knocked off the top 100 list??

http://www.time.com/time/searchresults?N=55&Ntk=NoBody&..._day=31&to_year=2006

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course any list of this type will never satisfy everyone. Certainly Far.451 could comfortably sit alongside many of these novels in terms of literary merit, but so could a few dozen other worthy novels that weren't included. Let's not cry over spilt accolades.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe the list was compiled from elementary school summer reading lists? Judy Blume figures very prominently there.

Priory

Posts: 27 | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who cares about stupid ol' TIME magazine anyways. Frowner

Those guys don't know Salman Rushdie from Shine-Ola.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at all the awards Ray has won! I doubt this one merits much attention.

Silly "Top 100" lists!!

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post