Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Favorite Illustrated Man Story?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Illustrated Man Story?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
It's A Toss-Up For Me Between The Veldt And Marionettes Inc. I Can't Offer An Analysis Of The Veldt After The Fine Job Mr. Dark Just Did And Any Attempt To Try And Meet That Standard With An Analysis Of M-Inc. Would Just Be Futile. I Can Just Say, Even Though I Kinda Saw It Coming, The Tick-tick-tick-tick Towards The End Actually Made Me Go Numb And Drop The Book.

Posts: 42 | Location: SACRAMENTO, CA. U.S.A. | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, Time For Some Group Therapy. My Parents Divorced When I Was Seven. After Reading Marionettes Inc. When I Was 11 Or 12 I Found Myself Wondering If My Father Had The Same Yearning To Escape A Dying Marriage As The Man In The Story. It Has Always Tripped Me Out That Dad's Bags Were Already Packed. They Argued, He Said He was Leaving, He Walked Into The Bedroom, Immediately Came Back Out With Two Suitcases, And Left. Twenty Years Later, As My Own Marriage Was Slowly Dying, I Found Myself Once Again Thinking Of Marionettes Inc.

Posts: 42 | Location: SACRAMENTO, CA. U.S.A. | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok in the british publication I would say Kaleidoscope, No Particular Night or Morning,The Veldt.

Posts: 24 | Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Exiles, no doubt...could you imagine, all your favourite authors and their characters alive on some far-off planet? Oh, and the Fox and the Forest; running away from a disastrous, war filled time period just to be dragged back! The whole book is amazing, its impossible to pick a fav. Btw, I saw that an eleven year old was writing on here...WOW, that is great. Keep it up! I wish I could get my little brother to read some Bradbury, all he does is watch tv and play N64...so good for you!

Posts: 7 | Location: canada | Registered: 16 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why hasn't anyone said anything about "the Visitor' yet!? I, personally, thought that was a great story. Focusing on (As William Golding did in 'Lord of the Flies') man's inherent corruption and also our instinctual struggle toward pleasure. Basically, it proves the long-lived quote that 'you don't know what you've got till it's gone'. Talk about a moral of the story.

Oh, heh, by the way, I'm new here. A 14 yr. old student in CO. Hello all.

Posts: 2 | Location: lakewood, co, usa | Registered: 23 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Basically I read this back in the day when i was 10, we just did it in school (I'm a 15 year old Freshman in WI), it was great. Everytime I read it, it gets more amazing. Every story was great, but I really liked "The Long Rain" "The Veldt" and "The Exiles."

Posts: 3 | Location: Madison, WI, USA | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coma-man,

Several of Ray's short stories have been adapted to film. I used to work in an AV Library and made sure that we got several of them. Yes the Veldt has been done. The info I have shows that it was done in 1981, directed by Dianne Haak, is a Bernard Wilets production and released through Barr Films of Pasadena, CA. Check to see if your local library can get it through interlibrary loan. Our copy was on 16mm film but I bet that a VHS version was available also.

Among the other Bradbury films we had were The Flying Machine and Quest (based on Frost and Fire)

Posts: 3 | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marionettes Inc. was done also. We watched The Veldt in class, while I took it upon my own power to watch Marionettes.

Posts: 3 | Location: Madison, WI, USA | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 40 of Ray's stories were made into half hour episodes for the Bradbury Theater. Since Ray was involved in making those episodes, they are all very true to the actual stories. I have seen every episode and have taped my favorites. None of them are currently on rotation at the Sci Fi Channel, but every few years they bring them back and run through all of them. They're well worth watching out for!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My all time favorite story is the long rain. Although i love all of the other stories, this one seems to stay with me the most. I really enjoyed the story of the men that are kept in the rain, and the psychological effects they suffer from. Also, the ending was what really got to me. When he finds the sun dome and the rest of his team is dead, it is very sad yet somewhat ironic.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 11 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See a very well organized analysis of RB Theater episodes (65 over 6 seasons): http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/EpisodeGuideSummary/showid-3822/season-all

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THX for the "Veldt" info... never thought that they did one...

As for the endings... what do you think? Is it madness? The rain finally won?

Posts: 21 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to mention I hold every story in this book very very dear to me, but if pressed I would have to say Kaleidoscope is my favorite one. It tugs so deep at my heartstrings about the brevity and sheer beauty of life even amidst anguish and turmoil and hatred. The final culmination of each going their seperate ways and dying alone is symbolic of the death we all must finally face in the end alone to confront eternity and oblivion whatever that may bring. All of the arguments and banter were finally rendered meaningless in the face of this particular calamity. The end is particularly poignant as one spaceman heads back home to earth surrounded by a kaleidoscopic meteor shower of unspeakable beauty. As the mother and son walk along in the country twilight, they see the meteor/man flare and die out. Many, if not all of Bradbury's stories leave me astounded not only in awe of his superb skill of the lyrical metaphor but the weaving of each different story and how it seems to have an ending that is just perfect or belongs only to that one. I don't think I'm the only one who recognizes this.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a very difficult task to proclaim just one I-Man story as my favorite. Today, I will say that "The Other Foot" is my favorite. Tomorrow, I will probably say something different.

The years get buried as I turn the pages and make my way through the novel of life. Yet, one story stays with me the most. One story stands out like a bookmark, waaaay back there towards the beginning. It's always visible, always accessible. "Marionnettes Inc." with its insights into marriage and the abrupt realization that comes with finding out that even a bad marriage is over, the feelings of abandonment and betrayal, and the scheming that goes into a well executed seperation. Coming from a broken home, THAT story stands out.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As you may have guessed from my cyber-sobriquet,
that's one of my favourites too!
And may I even go so far as to add tick-tick-tick-tick-tick...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post