Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Favorite 'obscure' story
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite 'obscure' story
 Login/Join

posted
There may already have been a thread along these lines, but ...
There are many well known RB 'classics' (eg. 'All Summer in a Day', 'A Sound of Thunder', 'Pedestrian' to name just a few), but what are some of your favorite obscure or lesser known stories?
A few from The Toynbee Convector are unsung gems: 'One Night in your Life' and 'The Last Circus' are lovely, poignant stories of longing and loss; and the title story from that collection now seems quite timely.
'Forever and the Earth' (not sure if it qualifies as 'lesser-known'?) is a memorable story about writing and the inadequacy of words.
'The Pumpernickel' is a beautifully simple minor tragedy, unashamedly sentimental.
Any other obscure favorites??

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One for His Lordship, and One for the Road!

Remember that appeared in Playboy in January 1985. Wonderful story.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray's poem, "Imagine", has always moved me very much. However, beyond its original appearance in a magazine or newspaper, and then as a limited edition broadside from Lord John Press in the early 1980's, I am not aware of anywhere else it has appeared.

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another poem: Remembrance, from (I think) When Elephants Last in the Dooryard Bloomed.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short on time. It's not really obscure, but I like the story about the baby born in the wrong dimension. He appears here as a blue pyramid, and we assume in another dimension lies the human child. The human parents decide to love the pyramid and raise it as thier own. I thought it was a very cool story. I think it's called "Tomorrow's Child" in the book, I Sing The Body Electric.

Again, while they aren't really obscure, I like the Laurel and Hardy stories, too.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Tomorrow's Child" is right. OK story, but came across as just plain daft when they did it on Ray Bradbury Theater!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daft is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you read the collection Memory of Murder? It includes a number of weird stories, including "It Burns Me Up!" which is from the p.o.v. of the murder victim.

Priory

Posts: 27 | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Priory, I love the paperback collection, A MEMORY OF MURDER (and that great pulpish cover art, with the skeleton clutching the beautiful girl!). For those who may not have ever read it, the book is composed of stories Ray wrote for the mystery pulps (DETECTIVE TALES, DIME MYSTERY, and so forth) during the 1940's. In his introduction to the book, Ray notes that, with the exception of "The Small Assassin" and one or two others, he is not especially pleased today about many of these stories, and considers them the work of a young man who had not yet found his true voice and who had not yet learned how to craft a mystery. However, I find the stories very interesting and great fun, a showcase for the work of an obviously very talented young writer who is still learning and honing his craft. One of my personal favorites is "The Long Night", set during the Zoot Suit riots in Los Angeles during World War II.

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Another poem: Remembrance, from (I think) When Elephants Last in the Dooryard Bloomed.

Nuts! You totally stole mine! Haha, isn't that the most moving piece of literature ever!? I get all misty each and every time!

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose that Pillar of Fire isn't too obscure, but I don't hear it mentioned very often. It is one of my favorites.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey,howcome nobody ever really talks about the Short Story Boys ! Raise Giant Mushrooms in your Cellar ? I happen to like this one very much & believe strongly that it is one of Bradbury's most paranoid,well it ranks right up there w/ Zero Hour for me anyways ... Confused

Posts: 7 | Registered: 22 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like "The Lost City Of Mars".

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and it likes you!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Have I Got a Chocolate Bar For You!"

Poems "Doing is Being", "What I Do is Me - For That I Came", and "Que Bella, the Flagella of the Beasts".

Beloved.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post