Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    NAME ONE BOOK that he or she would most want to memorize!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NAME ONE BOOK that he or she would most want to memorize!
 Login/Join

posted
BRADBURY, in his new introduction to the Graphic Novel, FAHRENHEIT 451", write this:

"NAME ONE BOOK that he or she would most want to memorize and protect from the censors or firemen", Bradbury writes. "And not only name the book, but give the reasons why they would wish to memorize it and why it would be valuable asset to be recited and remembered in the future?"

Let me start:
First two Chapters of The New Testament Book of EPHESIANS. Why?
Because if you take in each word slowly and understand what it's saying, you soon realize that your mind has been thrust where it's never been before. It captures you in a way that makes you want to re-read and re-capture what you thought you just read. Why is it a valuable asset? It brings you to a reality that you won't find in the present day culture, a reality that has absolutely enduring significance.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas A. Kempis. I'd memorize any portion of the book, any length. It's one of those classic pieces of an historic work that mesmerizes you no matter where you pick up to read. It can be the conscience of any man or woman, a conscience suddenly found in print.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Holy Bible, because it is a detailed account of life since the beginning of man.

Posts: 29 | Registered: 20 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Martian Chronicles.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin. The single most thorough combination of meticulous observation and rigorous scientific thought ever written by a single person.

You may think you know what this book is about. But if you haven't read it, you don't.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding, in order to play the game fairly, you have to answer all of Ray Bradbury's questions he poses.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry - lack of attention to detail.

Because it's the most beautiful fantastic poem ever written, and should never be forgotten!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Martian Chronicles is a poem?

Spaulding, we're talking a series of short stories knitted into a novel here. How do you get a poem out of this?

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
How do you get a poem out of this?

Read it again.

I speak in metaphor here.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
How do you get a poem out of this?

Read it again.

I speak in metaphor here.

I did read it again. It sounds more like HYBERBOLE to me than Metaphor.

posted Hide Post
I meant read the book again. What's hyberbole?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Douglas! You're right. Where did that extra 'b' come from? It's spelled:

hyperbole

posted Hide Post
I know.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich

Reflection is useless, the world is senseless. Evil is its only permanence. God is not alive. Love cannot be trusted. Surface, surface, surface was all that anyone found meaning in...this was civilization as I saw it, colossal and jagged.

Posts: 8 | Location: Manchester, UK | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post