Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Looking for Short Story Title

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Short Story Title
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for a story that I think was published in Reader's Digest, about an adolescent boy and his female teacher(?) who had a unique relationship--soul mates, if you will, but at wrong place/time. I think at the end of the story, they somehow got together. It was a very sweet story and very special to me because I was in a similar situation bittersweet situation at work many years ago. Anyone have any ideas?

Posts: 5 | Location: Baltimore, MD, USA | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1st thought - Are you thinking of The Emissary, but not with a happy get together as one would think?! "Good dog or Bad dog!" You decide.

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THE EMISSARY had a sickly boy who couldn't leave his house and his only contact with the outside world came through his dog who would romp around outside. The boy could join in his journeys by smelling the scents and odors the dog would bring back trapped in his fur. His only visitor was his teacher, whose arrival he eagerly anticipated each day because she always lifted his spirits and brightened his day.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A Story of Love" aka "These Things Happen" appeared in the "Reader's Digest," February 1983, as "I'll Never Forget You." I believe most or all of the stories which appeared in the Digest were in condensed form.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A Story of Love" it is. You'll find it in LONG AFTER MIDNIGHT.

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, "Story of Love."

Later when thinking about my Emissary suggestion, I had to chuckle. Would Reader's Digest run such a story ? I think not!

Definitely...."Bad Dog!"

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 10-20-2004).]

posted Hide Post
Thank you, everyone who responded. "I'll Never Forget You" sounds right, and I know it was a good ways back--right around the time when I was in that certain situation. And thank you, Gothic, for telling me where I can find it.

Posts: 5 | Location: Baltimore, MD, USA | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i remember that story, they dont end up getting together though. in later years the man goes back to his hometown and the woman is dead, ironically she died around the same age he is when he returns.

Posts: 40 | Location: st.cloud, MN, USA | Registered: 08 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How ironic that I thought about this story and wanted to find it...I just found out that the man with whom I had such a relationship died about six weeks ago. A copy of that story has to go in my library in his memory. He was old enough to be my father, but what fine friends we were...I don't know that there is such a thing as reincarnation, but if there is, I hope we find each other.

posted Hide Post
That sounds a bit like this new movie Birth, there we have a woman who seems to find her former husband reincarnated in a ten year old boy... It just started in our cinemas and I'm very curious about it. More so as I've grown quiet fond of Nicole Kidman since I saw her acting Virginia Woolf in "The Hours" and realised what a good actress she is!
As I take it, the film has been running in the US since the end of October -- has anyone seen it? Can you recommend it?

Unfortunately I haven't had an opportunity to read "Story of Love" yet -- gotta find a copy of that collection soon!

[This message has been edited by Menes (edited 12-29-2004).]

Posts: 59 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am surprised "The Fireman" does not appear in Stories or RBStories, or anywhere else for that matter! I found that it was anthologized in WM Nolan's Origins of Science Fiction, 1980 (I believe).

Would any of you have a lead on getting a copy of this somehow. I was considering covering it as a prelude to F451 in upcoming SF class. I know it was in Galaxy('50?) as a ss originally, but costs are often prohibitive for such an ebay try. Thanks for any ideas.
f

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 01-26-2005).]

posted Hide Post
fjpalumbo: There are currently three used copies of the 1980 paperback collection SCIENCE FICTION ORIGINS, edited by William F. Nolan and Martin Greenberg, listed on the Advanced Book Exchange ("ABE"), a great website for finding used books, both common and rare. The three copies range in price from $4.50 to $5.00. Just go to the following link, and type in your search. Ordering on-line using a credit card from the stores that have the book is pretty simple. Here's the link:

http://www.abebooks.com

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard, Yes! Good idea. In a hurry - I hadn't thought about this. I have done purchases with "Abebooks" before and have had success in the exchanges. Thanks much, this should do it.

posted Hide Post
I have had nothing but good luck with ABE books, also.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeeze.... "Metamorphous" came immediately to mind on this end of the internet. Wasn't there a teacher in love with a giant kook-a-racha-boy in that story?

Posts: 50 | Location: Greenville, Illinois America | Registered: 13 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post