Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

affair
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
A reasonable question, but inane and shallow replies in each response.

Montag had no time for a relationship. The entire story takes, what!?, three maybe four weeks in its entirety. Nor was that the reason for Clarisse's role in the story. Hers was a persona (L. "brightness") of inspiration and motivation. Something we all need from time to time. In Montag's case, it became intellectual, social, and even spiritual by the end of the book.

I have had HS students inquire about this relationship topic before. As Mr. Dark suggests, the Q is raised in the perspective of young readers of the 21st Century. The rile from Nard, just maybe, is fanned by the superficialness that resulted in all of the above posts.

In view of the limp, watery quips above,
"What is being done in teaching and truly discussing the text?" would be may challenge.
----------------------------------
WOW: Ok, I just returned from a visit to the "Most Interesting Character" heading!
In this case after reading the comments, I think Nard is 100% on target. And my concern about "how the book is being taught" screams even louder. There seems no appreciation for the importance of the work. Simply stated, Sad!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 11-22-2004).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post