Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I'm about a third of the way into "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. I decided again on the Recorded Books version, as it's read by the author.
She's really gone through a lot!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What did you think of INVASION OF THE BODYSNATCHERS?

Ever read "Farewell To The Master" by Harry Bates? It was filmed as THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. I found a novelized version of the movie/expanded version of the story. It's not written by Bates. I guess they didn't do novelizations back in the 1950s. The book is from 1976. It's been 30 years since I last saw that movie.

New version of INVASION OF THE BODYSNATCHERS out now starring Nicole Kidman and entitled INVASION. Looks good, maybe.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Cheaper by the Dozen," by Frank Gilbreth Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grassy,
I enjoyed "Snatchers" a lot. Read it before, actually. I decided, too, to see the movie again and it follows the book pretty well, given the time constraints. The ending is very different, though. I would like to read some more of Finney's books.
I wonder if anyone has ever explained how, in the movie, Becky changes without a Pod Person replacement? Did you know that the beginning and ending bits in the hospital were added after initial showings proved too disturbing? Just as well; it's always good to see Whit Bissell and Richard Deacon!

Dandy,
It's been a long time since I read "Cheaper". True story; interesting, entertaining, and somewhat sad. The 1950 motion picture starring Clifton Webb and Myrna Loy is pretty faithful. The subsequent Steve Martin ones are travesties. I never read the sequel, "Belles On Their Toes". Maybe someday...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr Potter, Book the Seventh.

The British version.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jamaica Kincaid?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
What did you think of INVASION OF THE BODYSNATCHERS?

Ever read "Farewell To The Master" by Harry Bates? It was filmed as THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. I found a novelized version of the movie/expanded version of the story. It's not written by Bates. I guess they didn't do novelizations back in the 1950s. The book is from 1976. It's been 30 years since I last saw that movie.

New version of INVASION OF THE BODYSNATCHERS out now starring Nicole Kidman and entitled INVASION. Looks good, maybe.

================================================

The original IOTBS is still a remarkably scarry movie, even given the '50 concerns with creatures that had been irradiated etc. Another movie that I always liked for its special effects and haunting scenes is Invaders From Mars. When the folks just drop into the sand hole and disappear, that was superbly done.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrask! That sinking sand image was creepier to me as a kid than any of the elaborate movie monsters! It still haunts me!

posted Hide Post
“Belles on Their Toes” is very good. Same authors.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm considering reading "Belles on Their Toes." Haven't read "Man of the Family," the sequel to "Little Britches," for the same reason

SPOILER

So sad when the father dies.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After years of putting it off, finally broke down and started reading "Tarzan."

posted Hide Post
Now reading Patricia Cornwell's Trace. It's pretty good so far.
I just finished re-reading Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon. I'd forgotten how really creepy the book is!
Next I plan to read....gosh, whatever I can find, until I can buy a new book!

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm reading Patrick Suskind's Perfume, it is totally amazing and is blowing my mind to shreds (which I look for in a book). If you can get your hot little hands on it, run with it now!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocket! Where the heck have you been, bud?
Great to have you back!

I've finished "Infidel", am nearly through "Cult Of The Amateur", and have started Joyce's "Dubliners".

Highly recommend the first two. Powerful messages, but the writing's only fair. They aren't out to be great writers, just messagers.

I must say, I'm not all that impressed with Joyce as a writer so far, and he's supposed to be a great writer. For engaging, moving true stories of his life and the lives of characters in his town, Herriot's way better. Maybe I'll switch over to Joyce's "Portrait..." and see how that is.

(... or maybe just get the latest Sneaky Pie Brown...)

posted Hide Post
I agree Herrit's the better story-teller, but I do love 'Dubliners.' Maybe by the time you've finished it, you'll find you liked it.....
I'm glad you mentioned 'the Infidels.' It reminded me that I want to read it.

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post