Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I have a Jack Benny Biography I may read next.

I read that - it's wonderful!

I'm about to read "Sunday Nights At Seven" by his daughter Joan.
Is that the one you read?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm about to read "Sunday Nights At Seven" by his daughter Joan.
Is that the one you read?

Alas, no - Jack Benny, 1976, by Irving A. Fein, Jack's manager.

But you can never have too many biographies of Jack Benny.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
poettesse, I was very impressed with Patrick Suskind's Perfume. Very original and keeps you on the edge from front to back.

Thank you for the suggestion! Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
(query; if someone's name on the board is written with a lower case letter at the beginning of their handle, do you capitalize it when you start a sentence? Just curious because of fjp, patrask, grasstains, and er rocket for instance.)

Yes, I believe that those of us who have adopted lower-case names would prefer to have them always written that way. We all want to be e.e. cummings when we grow up! Razzer

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
I have been reading David Rockefeller-Memoirs and finding it very interesting.

Poettesse, I am so fortunate in that at our retirement community's club house, there is a library wall that have books coming and going with a wide range of topic matter.

That's wonderful! I'm kind of house-bound so I keep hoping for a bookmobile for our town.

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
poettesse, may I call you "tess"?

LOL! Yes, you may! That's a name from one of my favorite books....

~~Garrison Keillor

posted Hide Post
We could have a book drive for poetesse. I try to always have two copies of my favorite books, so I can spread the wealth. I could probably afford to send off two books in the mail. What do you say guys? poetesse, would you be okay with that? You can e-mail me at FRMN451@sbcglobal.net to work it out.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well!

LOL! I get that! I get that!
Clever!

~~Garrison Keillor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
We could have a book drive for poetesse. I try to always have two copies of my favorite books, so I can spread the wealth. I could probably afford to send off two books in the mail. What do you say guys? poetesse, would you be okay with that? You can e-mail me at FRMN451@sbcglobal.net to work it out.

Oh my gosh, grass! That is so incredibly nice of you! I'd take very good care of any books, I promise, and would send them safely back.
Will e-mail you the morraw!
Thank you!
Red Face

~~Garrison Keillor

posted Hide Post
Morrow is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night I read the final two "parts" (kinda like chapters) of THE IRON MAN by Ted Hughes to Spouse. It went over really well. As opposed to the animated THE IRON GIANT, which is an adaptation of the Hughes story (remember, Hogarth Hughes or Hog Hug?), the ending is really transcendental, mystical, spiritual, New Age even. The ending is just beatiful, and there is quite a macho, if not masochistic, showdown leading up to it. I give it 5 stars *****.

poetesse, I kinda blew the money I was saving for postage at a GOODWILL thriftstore Grand Opening the other day. Give me a week.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I have started the Jack Benny bio, but over the weekend I dug the book-on-tape of Kerouac's "Dharma Bums", read by "Alva Goldbook" (those familiar with Kerouac will know who that was). Pretty good writing.
Now back to Jack...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read that Braling and I thought it was great. I love Kerouac! Although several others I tried to read fell to the wayside as not comparable to On The Road or Dharma Bums. The trains man, bring back the trains. It's a bygone era I know, riding the rails anyway. I especially loved when he road the train(midnight ghost?) up to Santa Barbara or was it Salinas and got off under a blanket of stars and hit the beach to drink his wine. Wow, heavy stuff.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still reading Ender's Game and I do enjoy it, very different from the usual sci-fi ( is that a misnomer?). I have a bad habit of picking up books while I'm reading other books. It's okay I guess but I find that by reading a new one that I've just picked up, it seems to take away an equal amount of attention that would otherwise be devoted to the first one, so I try to avoid doing this, alas, to no avail. This time I picked up Stephen Crane's Red Badge of Courage and I am so enthralled with it. Some of his lovely metaphors remind me of Ray's. It is so haunting and it is so like your there unlike any other book on the Civil War I have read. Some of it reminds me of the Drummer Boy of Shiloh or Downwind From Getteysburg. Oh, if you get a chance, don't miss Ken Burns new documentary of WWII starting tomorrow night at eight I think on KET or PBS. If it is anything like Ken Burn's Civil War, its a no misser.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tend to do the same thing at times, rocket, reading 2 or more books at once.....It's usually when book #1 is kind of boring that I pick up book #2, because going back and forth makes it easier to continue with the boring one....or I may just feel the need for a bit of poetry in the middle of reading a novel. It works for me.....
I'm sure looking forward to the shipment of books from grasstains! What riches!

~~Garrison Keillor