Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
My sister had a birthday recently, and I got her the children's picture book "Mars Needs Moms" by Berkeley Breathed, of "Bloom County," "Outland," and "Opus" comic-strip fame. Of course, being the sort of brother I am, I read it first.

It was really wonderful; a tear-jerker. My sister called after reading it and told me that the first line of the book is from "War of the Worlds," and the last line is from "To Kill a Mockingbird."

I bought two copies. Don't tell my wife, but she's getting one for Christmas!

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought the coolest copy of F451. It is 3/4" high and is the complete text of the full size edition. Even has Mr. B's picture on the back cover.

Now all I need is a 100x magnifying glsss to read it. Not sure how I'm going to get him to sign it for me either. Smiler

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm re-reading 'Children of the Vampire' by Jeanne Kalogridis. It's an intelligent, entertaining and sometimes erotic variation on the Dracula legend. It's the second book in a fine trilogy. I think it's rather superior to Anne Rice's novels.

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure looking forward to the shipment of books from grasstains! What riches!

Umm... err, I uh, like only sent two books. See, that way I could say I sent some books (plural) and make it sound like SOOO much more than only one (1) book. When it's actually only one (1) book more than one (1) book. I'm frugal.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
Umm... err, I uh, like only sent two books. See, that way I could say I sent some books (plural) and make it sound like SOOO much more than only one (1) book. When it's actually only one (1) book more than one (1) book. I'm frugal.

LOL! Two books IS riches!

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well into the Benny book. So far, so good.
BUT, I'm listening to the audiobook of "Something Wicked". The end of chapter 28, in which Will and his Dad climb up to his room, is one of the best things ever written by a human being. Now that I'm about Will's Dad's age, it really hits me.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Halloween Tree, and why not!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally finished Enders Game. I enjoyed it a lot but was a little bogged down by the extended discussions on strategy. The end rocked though. I'm well into Red Badge Of Courage and its very good. Some of his metaphors remind me of Bradbury.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Red Badge" is one of the very few books (3-5) I've ever had to quit reading because of emotional reasons. It hit me pretty hard. I remember something about moss growing on the northern side of tree trunks and the protagonist getting seperated from his group of soldiers (I think he ran away) and then, almost comically, accidentally falling into line with another group of soldiers.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certain books impact me in such a way as to be life altering. This seems to be one. Not only showing the rigors of war but the emotional feelings and the truly human flaws that sometimes in extreme circumstances emerge. Bradbury's books in particular have that ability to sweep you away with them and not question at all the validity of what your reading. It is so like some narcotic induced dream when I read a book that I am enthralled with. What I mean is, you are there. A freight train could derail and land inches from me when I read a good book and I'd never know of my peril. Red Badge is just such a book. I am a fan of The Civil War so I'm really into it but I've rarely read a book on the war or its aftermath that effected me so. I gotta say I'm enjoying it immensely regardless of the grave subject matter. Did anyone watch Ken Burns new film on WW2 on pbs this past week. I love all of his productions too. Anyway, I think for this years "scary" book in honor of my fav. holiday, I am going to dive once again into The October Country.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did watch some of the WWII documentary. It was still being played tonight, too. It's good stuff. Imagine the time it takes to compile such a... a, umm, well... What is it? To compile all that stuff. There.

posted Hide Post
Missed the TV special (no TV). But our local AM radio station, KSCO, had a special series in the afternoons last week dedicated to the war in ythe Pacific. Monday concentrated on 1941, beginning with Pearl Harbor; Tuesday on 1942, etc. In the studio each day they had guests who had been there! People phoned in to talk with them and some vets called in too, offering their own stories. One of the hosts, Michael Olson has a book out now: "Tales From a Tin Can: The USS Dale from Pearl Harbor to Tokyo Bay".

How was the Ken Burns thing?
The other host of the abovementioned radio show (Charlie Friedman, a Navy vet himself)watched it and was disappointed by the choice of background music. Too gloomy, he said. He's a collector of 78s and very knowledgeable. He made a comment I really liked, something to the effect that, "we had such great music those Nazis didn't stand a chance!"

Now, what thread is this again?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finished October Sky (aka, Rocket Boys), and ironically 50 yrs. have passed so quickly:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2007-10-03-sputnik-education_N.htm

What flights will man have taken by 2057?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm about halfway through The Friendly Persuasion, by Jessamyn West, and finding it very different from the movie.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my Russian-speaking friends tells me that "Спутник" ("Sputnik") means "companion", or, more accurately, "travelling companion". Kinda cute, I thought.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post