Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Another factoid: Francois Truffaut had a bit part as an actor in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, a movie which received a rave review from none other than Ray Bradbury. I haven't checked, but I think I still have that review somewhere.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a mouthful title I started today:
Super Freakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes and Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Super Freakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes and Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner.

You left off the subtitle: A Book Not Much Longer Than the Title.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:

You left off the subtitle: A Book Not Much Longer Than the Title.

And this is the sequel.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by douglasSP:
Another factoid: Francois Truffaut had a bit part as an actor in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, a movie which received a rave review from none other than Ray Bradbury. I haven't checked, but I think I still have that review somewhere.

Indeed, Bradbury was quite fond of that movie. Spielberg supposedly say to Ray, "What do you think of YOUR movie?" Ray was mystified, until Spielberg explained that Close Encounters was inspired by IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, which Bradbury wrote.

Truffaut had more than a bit part. The character of Lacombe is quite pivotal to the story. According to Truffaut's diary, he found the whole filming process dreadfully slow and dull (he was more used to lower-budget, non-effects-driven film-making).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seem to be acquiring my share of coffee table books, today I picked up From The Pen of Paul: The Fantastic Images of Frank R. Paul. It has a preface by Sir Arthur C. Clarke with a special contribution from Jerry Weist, friend of Ray’s who we attended ComicCon with this past July. This may be the last publication that Forrest J. Ackerman contributed to also. Ray is first found on page 51.

There are four editions, a softback, a hardback, a slip case edition of 500 (mine is #87) and the letered editon. Each one with different cover art.

John King Tarpinian

ImageFrankPaulDeluxe.jpg (30 Kb, 7 downloads)

posted Hide Post
quote:
I seem to be acquiring my share of coffee table books...

And you don't even like coffee!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I seem to be acquiring my share of coffee table books...

And you don't even like coffee!

But I do have a fondness for tables.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Fahrenheit 451. Nearly done, then A Christmas Carol.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Fahrenheit 451.

Ah, great book. I think the author has a great career ahead of him...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Ah, great book. I think the author has a great career ahead of him...

Methinks you're a prophet!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
A Christmas Carol.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
NOW yer talkin'!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like...Rendezvous with Rama!!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/201...sc/us_sci_space_miss

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post