Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Og is great.

The Odyssey, Witch of Blackbird Pond, Call of the Wild, and book of cd's of Schultz and Peanuts, A biography. A story of RB, as this written by David Michaelis and read by Holter Graham, would be a monumental treat.

(No video games or earplugs from Santa. So we are flipping through the above stockinged classic titles and listening if front of the woodstove! Last few days, 12" of snow - added to a prior 12 - and tonight -12F! Typical.)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Og is great.

I recommended The Greatest Salesman in the World to my mum, who is not the most prolific reader. She half-heartedly took the book, and began. When I checked her progress a day or so later, she reported that she could hardly put it down - calling it one of the best things she had ever read!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are doing a comparison unit (themes, plots, styles) of various authors. Obvious, Mr. B appears frequently.

In our reading and discussions of The Monkey's Paw, W.W. Jacobs, and The Emissary, RB, the ironies and outcomes are quite interesting. Viewing the RB Theater episode of Emissary especially magnified the similarities in the two stories. (Coincidence or an update of recurrent theme?)

And then, the opening scene of Act I of Julius Caesar. The two local officials (Flavius and Marullus) ranting and raving at the commoners who just don't "seems to get any of it": much like Montag cornering the ladies and blasting them with Dover Beach. All it did was get them all into trouble with the governing powers later in the story!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today I had the urge to read The Great Black and White Game, Way Up In The Middle Of The Air and The Other Foot.

Mr. B was truly an advanced thinker.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm half way through The Man In The High Castle, by Philip K. Dick. Its quite good so far.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Boooks! We don't need no steenking boooks!"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2008-02-26-teens-history_N.htm

How much of F451 goes right over their heads?! Allusion is becoming a lost art.

posted Hide Post
Even more startling, this is what RB wrote about when Guy Montag faced all the insanity prior to making his run to freedom. It really makes one want to head for the country in search of some railroad tracks:

http://www.glumbert.com/media/americaschool

Note: "Philopher" (sic) in the teacher of the year opening photo. We are becoming greatly outnumbered!

posted Hide Post
Carrie by Stephen King.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Resurrection: Myth or Reality? by Bishop John Spong.

For Eostre.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Resurrection: Myth or Reality? by Bishop John Spong.

For Eostre.

As to this nonsense about Bishop Spong, this links says it better than I could ever!

http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=34

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished City of the Dead by Brian Keene. Not bad.

And currently reading Stephen R. Donaldson's Fatal Revenant. Pretty good, but it's kind of in a complicated mess right now. Hopefully things clear up.

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joseph Heller's "Catch-22"

Posts: 10 | Location: an evil rabbits mouth | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been away for a while, sorry. This place is as dynamic as ever I see. In times of dire need, I turn to music and reading, especially anything by Bradbury. Someone at work just started Something Wicked, her first read of anything Bradbury, so naturally I chose to refresh my short memory and read it yet again. Wow! She is really amazed and creeped out so far. Enough said. Currently I am halfway through Devil In The White City by Erik Larson. A true tale of murder, magic, and madness at the Chicago Worlds Fair 1892. So fine. Also about halfway done with Really The Blues by Metzner. Biography all about early jazz and blues in the twenty's. So good, full of grit and apt slang from that period. I am currently looking for a copy of The World Without Us to come into the bookstore by Weiss. Seems intriguing about the far future without man and how things disintegrate and finally revert back to a paradise planet. Hope everyone is doing well.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocky! Nice to see (?) you again!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks B-II, hope you are doing swell.