Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hopscotch
 Login/Join

posted
Though I have too many favorites to pick a single one on any given day, I must say that my current infatuation is with "Hopscotch," found in the Quicker Than the Eye collection. It is amazing to me how easily Bradbury connects with images from my own past. I have left similiar dew prints in similar grasses.

My girlfriend had never read any Bradbury. One night I read her "Hopscotch" in bed. Thank you, Mr. Bradbury . . .

Posts: 81 | Location: Somewhere in the Southwest, USA | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to comment again on this old post, now that we have a lot more members on these boards!

So, anyone read "Hopscotch" lately?

Posts: 81 | Location: Somewhere in the Southwest, USA | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pulled out my copy of Quicker than the Eye. Ater reading your post.
Then I was pleased to slip into an age of my own youth when a certain girl meant the world to me. I tasted the feeling over again as I read the story, and I am in debt to Mr. Bradbury for capturing that in a series of memories to be read again, and again.

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 01-17-2002).]

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm living out "Hopscotch" as I type these words. It's one of my personal favorites also.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The original comment is now 20 years old, but I still wanted to say something too Smiler
I am right now 18 years old and I myself crush on a Girl my age right now.

When first reading the story "Hopscotch" one year ago, I always thought that this small little story represents a dream scenario for me. I would love to live through this small adventure with my girl of interest.

Bradbury wrote this story so lovely. It calms me whenever I re-read it.

Greetings :^)

Posts: 1 | Location: Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany | Registered: 12 September 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ryannoeltogo, I had not read Ray Bradbury's short story "Hopscotch" for several years. Reading your post caused me to retrieve my copy of Ray's collection QUICKER THAN THE EYE, and read the story once again. Thanks for providing the impetus for doing so. It's a wonderful story, one I should not have neglected for such a long period of time.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Hopscotch" is interesting because it's a revised and expanded version of the story "A Walk in Summer" which appears in SUMMER MORNING, SUMMER NIGHT. Both versions are good, but in some ways I prefer that earlier shorter version. The earlier version lacks any mention of hopscotch and is a bit subtler as a result. In "Hopscotch" Ray makes the metaphor a bit too on-the-nose in my opinion.

Posts: 41 | Registered: 29 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post