Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Favorite Bradbury book?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Bradbury book?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Death is a Lonely Business is my least favorite of Bradbury novels.

Really? I quite liked that one! I thought it was the last really first-rate novel he published (though I have to say, I have not read the recent works like "Farewell Summer" or "Somewhere a Band is Playing"). The two sequels to this book seemed far inferior to the original, in my mind...

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
octobercountry, I agree. I thought DEATH IS A LONELY BUSINESS was fantastic - it was a revelation to me of the breadth of RB's talents. It has a great ensemble of characters (one of them my user-namesake!), and it's a very cleverly constructed murder-mystery (a happy medium between Agatha Christie & Chandler).
I really didn't care for the two sequels, however - VERY disappointing.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thedogman:
My favorite and probably his least mentioned in any forum is Death is a Lonely Business. Anyone familiar with that one?

I hope I like it - I just procured a first edition hardcover, which I promptly had signed by the author.

I'll give it a try. It's in my stack o' things to read.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I was raised in Santa Monica, Ocean Park, and Venice CA, I lived the atmosphere of Death Is A Lonely Business first hand. I Like Graveyard For Lunatics even better, it has a character after Ray's lifelong friend, Ray Harryhausen, and reflects the times when the studio bosses ran the world. But let's All Kill Constance is a very clever novel with some great plot twists, and continues the atmosphere of the other two. I like the whole lot, a whole lot!

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm new to this site but my favorite books are
something wicked this way comes and The halloween tree

Posts: 1 | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome, jayee! It's always good to 'meet' another Bradbury fan.
Now I'm in the mood to re-read 'Something Wicked!' Big Grin

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Favorite Bradbury book is most deffinitely the Martian Chronicles,because it's just so thought provoking & approaches the Red Planet w/ a entirely different point of view ... Cool

Posts: 7 | Registered: 22 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fahrenheit 451
Something Wicked This Way Comes
The October Country
The illustrated Man

Posts: 3 | Location: [seven]U[one]S[six]A | Registered: 15 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post