Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    SHORT STORY TITLE

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SHORT STORY TITLE
 Login/Join

posted
I read a long time ago a short story called "Wondercopy". Does anybody know where I can get it? I'd like to re-read it, now in this clonning days.
Thank you.

Posts: 1 | Location: Cordoba, Argentina | Registered: 17 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my enfeebled old age, I don't recognize this. Sorry.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge Ray has never written about cloning, and his only public comment indicated "he was agin it," but I can post it in the same places as the others.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The term, Wondercopy...must be around, because someone in grade school named Sarah....wrote a little story about it...

click on, or type into finder: http://www.ev-schule-charlottenburg.de/Fachbereiche/Englisch/body_englisch.html

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'Wonder' how this 'Copy' got here...
...2 minutes later...

Copy message deleted!.

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 02-18-2003).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These replies came by way of the Booksleuth Forums at Abebooks.

As you say, no Bradbury reader recognises it,� I don't remember it , yet it is listed as rec. reading on When You Choose� a site for Argentine English Second Language study - and attributed there to Bradbury. Weird or what??� I think this is a job for� OCTOBERCOUNTRY !!!
Jen in Melbourne

Googled on "Wondercopy" and found it mentioned on a Dutch language <>website.� The book it's from is a beginning English reader called Me, Myself and I : Seven Science Fiction Stories by Lewis Jones, London: Longman, 1975, ISBN 0582538440 .� According to the website, the story is by Bradbury.� Unfortunately, it looks like none are in stock now here at abe or anywhere else that I've been able to find.

Cathy

Okay, since the person who requested this it seems may be using English as a second language, it's possible a story of Bradbury's was translated into another language and given this title. I have two problems with this. For one, I remember a lot of Bradbury stories about robots in human form and a few of aliens taking on human shape, but none about cloning. In "Marionettes, Inc.," robots are made to resemble a specific person, as in another story, "Punishment Without Crime." They are the only two of his I can think of offhand for which this title would be appropriate. For another question, if the story was published in a foreign language, why is the title in English?

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, I just found it. Sure enough, it is a retitling of "Marionettes, Inc."