Find
Notify
Tools

First book?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djmonolith:
For me it was S Is For Space. It was a rainy day, I was in jr. high school, and i was complaining about having nothing to do. My mother told me to grab this book from the bookshelf and read the first story.

I finished the book that night.

I read R Is For Rocket the next day.

Good job. And a speed-reader at that!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first and favorite Ray Bradbury book is Dandelion Wine. I read it in high school along with many other classics, but Bradbury remains my favorite author. I recently rediscovered what I loved about him in the first place and have read almost every novel and story by him. Thank goodness for the library!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 04 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4th grade holding S is for Space just beneath my desk so as not to get caught reading instead of math, aaarg.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karen Hagadorn:
I recently rediscovered what I loved about him in the first place...

Pray elaborate.

I love his passion, his love, his outlook, his energy, his vision, his emotion, his wonderment, his optimism, his lack of tact. There is very little about this gentleman not to love, no?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i love my first book it is so cool and i read it every day during 5th period. Eeker

Posts: 1 | Registered: 08 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first Bradbury book? Golly.
I don't think I had a *first* persay. I remember my dad reading me one- Or at least telling me about what he used to read as a kid.
I was nine and highly impressionable; I wanted to be like my dad and have him pay attention to me more and stuff, because I was supposed to be Daddys Girl- Despite having a younger brother and sister, I was the oldest so I got full rights.
After I'd finished interogating him on what cereal he ate and his favorite color (I still love Purple, dad, sorry.) I asked him the all-trumping question: What did you read?
And then it began.

I started collecting Ray's books in the summer of 2007 while I was on vacation. I spent all my money at a used book store and haven't looked back since.

But the first one I truly, truly read?
Fareignheight 451 at the prompt of my best friend, whom is still my besty, and I now own three copies..
(Just in case.)

Posts: 3 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: 08 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle B:
...and I now own three copies..
(Just in case.)

You never know when the firemen might show up!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
You never know when the firemen might show up!

Every Friday and Saturday night! (And a matinee on Sunday).

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
The first of Ray's books that I read was Something Wicked This Way Comes. It set off fireworks in my mind, and still does, even now. As a boy, we lived next to a patch of waste ground that every spring played host to a returning carnival. We always called it the Merries, which is exactly what it was!
The sights, sounds and smells of my childhood seem to seep from the pages Something Wicked, and I don't think I'd swap that for anything.

The first stories I read were those in the Illustrated Man, and weren't they mindblowing? The world never looked quite the same way again...

Posts: 14 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 20 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently finished reading Summer Morning, Summer Night. They were interesting stories and thoughts, as some were just one page long. It appears that Donn has done a thorough job of scouring Ray's files in the basement and the gaqrage and gleaning all of Ray's works so that they might be published for all of us to enjoy.

We'll Always Have Paris should be arriving shortly.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first one was R Is for Rocket. When I eventually bought my first Bradbury book, I chose the same one. That was in 1973. I still have it. I'm going to try to add the cover as an attachment and see if it works.

Image1962_R_Is_for_Rocket_(UK_paperback).jpg (60 Kb, 15 downloads)

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have S is for Space with the cover by the same artist? - it seems.
No credit to the illustrator...possibly also Illustrated Edition of Martian Chronicles, with "Ian Miller" doing the artwork:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/i...8L._SL500_AA160_.jpg

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com...3b3110._AA240_.L.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Miller is correct. Jerry Weist's Ray Bradbury: An Illustrated Life has more of these Miller covers.

Miller's website ( here) has quite a bit of artwork. If you browse around you will see several pieces in a similar style to his Bradbury covers.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't find any artist credit in my old Pan Books paperback.

But I do have a matching edition of S Is for Space, the cover of which is done in a very similar style. Here it is - and I don't know whether or not it is Ian Miller.

Image1966_S_Is_for_Space_(2).jpg (63 Kb, 15 downloads)

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had my Jerry Weist to hand, I would go looking for the artist credit for this edition of S is for Space - I think it's in there.

- Phil