Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The Great American Novel
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Great American Novel
 Login/Join

posted
There is always talk of a new author's desire to write "the great American novel", but, in truth, hasn't it been done? Many times?

What are some nominees for this volume? I'll start with an obvious selection for this particular board. How about Dandelion Wine? It is certainly a great American novel.

Others?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winesburg, Ohio.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Magnificent Ambersons.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Lake Wobegone Days.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Moby. Friggin. Dick.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Catcher in the Rye.
To Kill a Mockingbird.
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me think...

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
To Kill a Mockingbird.

Good - I was hoping this marvellous work wouldn't go left out for too long. It's easily in my top five.

I'm glad the Britisher felt compelled to add to the thread (and greatly so!).

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Let me think...

K.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
The Road Cormac McCarthy.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I would have to include these as the most memorable and for their vivid images and lasting lessons of Americana:

Dandelion Wine, Ray Bradbury
To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
On the Road, Jack Kerouac
Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Mark Twain
My Antonia, Willa Cather
The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck
Killer Angels, Michael Shaara
Lonesome Dove, Larry McMurtry
Call of the Wild, Jack London

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moby-Dick or The Whale, Herman Melville
The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand
Slaughterhouse-Five, Kurt Vonnegut
(Great American Short Novel) Illusions, Richard Bach

And Death is A Lonely Business, Ray Bradbury.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
Moby-Dick or The Whale

Well, which one? Big Grin

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Lonesome Dove, Larry McMurtry

I would have come back and done it had you not.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
An epic American narrative. We had this on our senior read list for quite a while. Here are a couple of classic scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVBjBClBSao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...s7L0&feature=related