Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Fahrenheit 451, for those who have read it recently...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 451, for those who have read it recently...
 Login/Join

posted
...or have it memorized, does it describe the firemens' uniforms, and what does it say? I'm thinking it describes only the insignia (phoenix-disc on the chest and orange salamander badge on the arm) but want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Basically, ...he wears a helmet emblazoned with the numeral 451 (the temperature at which paper burns), a black uniform with a salamander on the arm, and a “phoenix disc” on his chest.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kewl! You just confirmed what I thought and you were my first choice for "had the novel memorized"!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An Ironic RB moment a few nights ago!!!

My wife and I were invited to a retirement gathering for a good friend who had been village librarian for the community in which I taught for many years. Her husband was one of my best friends "in the trenches" as we instructed and coached wonderful youth across the generations...

Well, she is a great individual who continued to keep a classic, old stone library vibrant and at the center of countless community activities, as all excellent book places always should be.

When it was time for her to address everyone in attendance, she began by commenting she would like to quote her favorite author in an effort to place her career with books into perspective.

(The twist really hit close to my experiences because she and I had just moments earlier discussed the privileged exchanges I had so fortunately had with Mr. Bradbury over the years. So too, countless acquaintances and fellow educators present had also expressed to me their sadness upon hearing of Mr. B's recent pass. Very kind, indeed.)

Her favorite author is Charles Dickens. Mr. Dickens, of course, was regularly identified by Mr. B as having written the tale that most affected him throughout his life. (That being A Christmas Carol.) However, when she began to read the exact opening to another classic Dickens novel, my mind rushed to the great scene in the '66 F451 movie where our hero Guy Montag does the same. I sensed, once again, "things Bradbury" were at play:

RE: Guy Montag: [reading from David Copperfield]
"David Copperfield. Chapter one. I am born. Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born, as I have been informed and believe on a Friday, at twelve o'clock at night. It was remarked that the clock began to strike, and I began to cry simultaneously."

It was quite appropriate, in countless ways, as I looked around the room filled with friends I had made while sharing so many treasured pages throughout my (very blessed) classroom career!

(Dandy, now Frank Darabont needs to majestically close the deal on one of the most significant possibilities in modern cinematography - hopefully before no one any longer understands the metaphors! )

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a David Copperfield reference on a rerun of A Prairie Home Companion this past weekend. Ruth Harrison, reference librarian's assistant Kent remarked that it was too cold for patrons to come in. Ruth said old people would like to sit by the fire and relish the adventures of David Copperfield and Kent said, "Why would they want to read about a magician?"

Agreed on Frank Darabont. They will have fun designing the uniforms! Half done, pictures coming.

Did not realize till just now that Sam Weller was a Dickens character!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

posted Hide Post
Our former spammer is at it again, once again registering as a new member each time, composing a post which tenuously connects to the thread, and which contains an advertising link. I am deleting these messages as soon as I spot them. (One such was posted in this thread, but is now removed.)

I've also been monitoring the IP address(es) used by the spammer, who is mostly coming to us via WireSix in Atlanta, Georgia.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geez, Phil, you're way more savvy than I am!