Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Hard To Find Books
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard To Find Books
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Thanks very much!
Must get ahold of said collection now.
I hope you're enjoying the "Feline Quadruped's Nocturnal Habiliment" (cat's pajamas)!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of books, I have 3 of the Ray Bradbury comics. Way kewl, seeing the stories in comic format.

Faves have to be (and I've forgotten the names) the story of the automated house in the future that burns down and the one about the life of a rocket ship.

Gotta find the rest of the collection. I think that there were 4 of them.

Clay

EDIT Aug 19: Those stories would be "There Will Come Soft Rains" and "I, Rocket".

[This message has been edited by Tilt Boss (edited 08-19-2004).]

AIM = Tilt Boss

Posts: 17 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 2003, a book came out called:

"The Best of Ray Bradbury: The Graphic Novel". Put out by ibooks, NY. (Distributed by Simon and Schuster) ISBN: 0-7434-7476-7

In addition to an introduction by Ray Bradbury, it includes the following stories (with a variety of artists):

"A Sound of Thunder"
"The City"
"Dark They Were, And Golden-Eyed"
"The Golden Apples of the Sun"
"Night Meeting"
"Picasso Summer"
"A piece of Wood"
"Come Into My Cellar"
"The Visitor"
"It Burns Me Up!"
"The April Witch"
"The Foghorn"

From the introduction:

"For I still believe that there's nothing wrong with comics that a good idea and a good presentation can't cure, providing books whereby you yank kids, through excitement, into reading, by gosh, real live books. But you must start somewhere, mustn't you?"

Bradbury got his start with Buck Rogers. Mine was Spiderman, Dr. Strange, The Silver Surfer, The X-Men, Thor, The Fantastic Four, Captain America, The Hulk . . . I was a "Make Mine Marvel" man. That and Mad magazine.

The first book that just turned me on? Ray Bradbury's "Farenheit 451".

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, dug the comics off the shelf:

The Ray Bradbury Chronicles
Bantam/Spectra Books

Vol. 1 & 2 Copyright July, 1992
Vol. 3 Copyright November, 1992
Vol. 4, announced, but I don't have it.

Stories:
Vol. 1 -
Dark They Were, and Golden Eyed
The Golden Apples of the Sun
Marionettes, Inc.
The Toynbee Convector
The Dragon
I, Rocket

Vol. 2 -
Come Into My Cellar
Rocket Summer and The Locusts
Night Meeting
Punishment Without Crime
A Piece of Wood
The Flying Machine

Vol. 3 -
The Aqueduct
The Veldt
Gotcha!
Homecoming
There Will Come Soft Rains
(2 versions)

I gotta say, actually seeing these stories made them so much more, I don't know, real. As much as I love the texts, and as much as I see all the action in my head (my Theatre of the Mind is fully functional!), the comic format speaks to me because of my age. At 37, I grew up on comic books. They are one of the things that got me reading. Since I read about 40 books a year, you can say that comics have really influenced my life.
I don't know how many volumes they published, but I would like to have them all.

Clay

AIM = Tilt Boss

Posts: 17 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post