Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    "Hail and Farewell"

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Hail and Farewell"
 Login/Join

posted
This one about a sort of "outsider" kid who had friends -- for short periods of time -- and who describes his unusual, nomadic life haunted me for decades.

I was recently able to pick up the story, which appears in the RB anthology "S Is For Space", with the help of a bookseller in Ohio.

I have synesthesia and while my condition has been wearing off over the years this story is for me indelibly caramel-brown colored, dry and dusty.

I tried to incorporate some of the main character's wandering spirit in pictures I made of my small, terrier-type dog.

Btw I noticed that "S Is For Space" *does not appear* in the list of RB books here on Ray Bradbury dot com. I wonder why that is?

Roman K. Toronto Canada
https://www.stickydoggy.com/hobo.html

Posts: 30 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: 31 March 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The books you see listed under the "Books" heading on this website are those published by his current publisher, which has not re-issued S IS FOR SPACE. I believe the only edition of S IS FOR SPACE currently available is the edition that has been published by PS Publishing, which is located in the U.K.

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Hail and Farewell" appears in the first 100 Stories collection.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, I see. Thanks for the info!

Posts: 30 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: 31 March 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're welcome. It should be easy for you to find a copy. When it appeared on Ray Bradbury Theater, Josh Saviano of The Wonder Years played the kid.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually I *did* score a copy of S is for Space. I'd completely forgotten about the Ray Bradbury Theater though. Wow!