Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Looking for (possibly) a Bradbury short story

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for (possibly) a Bradbury short story
 Login/Join

posted
My memory is totally hazy on this, I"m sure I was in 4th grade when i read this short story. And that was a very long time ago.

All I can remember is...
Two bits of energy (best description I can give them)traveling through the cosmos, completely gender neutral. The two are having a conversation, when at one point one mass of energy asks the other a question and the questioned mass of energy becomes saddened by the question. When the first mass of energy wonders why the second mass of energy has become sad, it responds, "I was once a woman."

This question has driven me nuts for years.

Please tell me this is Bradbury and someone recognizes the story.

Posts: 3 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 25 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome.

It may be in Cosmicomics by Italo Calvino. Will try to confirm, but I moved recently and I'm scattered.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I looked up Calvino, and one of the stories looks similar to what I described, but I can't find a freebies version online. Will have to find a bookstore (sadly, a daunting task these days). I'm not so certain it's him, though, because the book I read it from was a school book and I can't imagine that collection being a school book, unless it was Bradbury, and I recall reading this at about the same time I came across 'All Summer In A Day'.

Posts: 3 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 25 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that is "Eyes Do More Than See" by Isaac Asimov.

You're welcome.

"Save your freedom. If anyone tells you you may not read Harry Potter because of 'witchcraft', run! Shun him. He's a Fireman."

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
omigosh!

Thank you so much!

Now how the hell did I get my hands on an Isaac Asimov story? hmmm

posted Hide Post
I had some trouble locating it in online anthology references. SOme libraries have that search function. Once you got the title and author, you'll find it!

"Save your freedom. If anyone tells you you may not read Harry Potter because of 'witchcraft', run! Shun him. He's a Fireman."

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah-HA!

Check THIS out!
"Eyes Do More Than See" on the ISFDB

(I'm a poet didn't know it.)