Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    High School Students
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High School Students
 Login/Join

posted
So is everyone here from Notre Dame High School?

Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know, but apparently they're under the impression that there has only been one book by Ray. "What do you think about the book?" most topic headings ask. It's a good thing they all seem to know which book they're talking about!

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where do you get Notre Dame High? I was under the impression the name was Lemont High, presumably located somewhere in the U. S.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah we are from lemont suburb of the greatet city in the world chicago yeah it is a home work assignment to post three replies and this is the one book we read by ray so i hope that answers your ?

Posts: 5 | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they belong to reppiksmI. Wink, wink.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 09-01-2004).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, I'm sorry that all the kids from my high school are only talking about F451. :/ It's just that their assignment is to be here, and they have really only been exposed to this Ray Bradbury book. Some of the kids have really good discussion ideas though.

[This message has been edited by Voct (edited 09-01-2004).]

~Puuchuu Puuchuu!!

Posts: 9 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Voct, no need to apologize. Welcome to you and all of your classmates to the board! Hopefully, you liked FAHRENHEIT 451 enough to read some of Ray Bradbury's other wonderful books, even if they are not assigned homework!

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea right like Lemont kids would accually read books for fun!! ha ha good one!

WORD! (Naters)

Posts: 12 | Location: lemont,IL,USA | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kids are so disinterested in reading these days... sad. So many distractions, not enough time for sitting, and thinking, and reading.

High school, for me, became pointless memorization and figuring out how to get an A while doing minimal work. Much like posting three hasty questions/opinions on a message board.

*wink*

I guess forced reading is better than none at all. Good luck on your assignments, kids.

Posts: 32 | Location: Provo, Utah, USA | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad, sad, sad, but true!
In many so-called third world countries, (I'm thinking particularly of acquaintances who taught in Botswana and Haiti) children are so hungry for education - dressing in their best clothes, walking miles to school, families giving up many basic things and enduring great hardships to get their kids into school...
Here, unfortunately, knowledge and wisdom are no longer seen to be as important as wealth, fame, athletic prowess, and physical beauty. Consequently, most students attend school reluctantly and resist learning. The one thing our kids really do want to learn is how to be popular.
There are, of course exceptions; and it is on these kids we must place the hope of a better future for our society.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rm-r:
I guess forced reading is better than none at all. Good luck on your assignments, kids.

No, I don't think so. I think the pleasure of reading is an experience that can't be injected into someone, but has to be discovered and grown by oneself. I also think the context in which you are confronted with a book is important: Although I've always been fond of books since I learned to read them, I often disliked reading the books I was made to read at school, because they had the context of forced reading about them. (Therefore, I'm almost thankful we didn't read any Bradbury back at school). Of course, there are exceptions - but generally it will always be difficult to derive pleasure from something that is imposed on you.

Posts: 62 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of you who have extensive collections and websites (Phil and Elron, I'm talking to you!) could maybe photograph your collection of Bradbury books and post it on your website. Then post a copy of the picture on one of these messages from kids who think Ray only ever wrote one book. All you need to do to post a picture is include [img][/img] on either side of the url for the picture. I have no idea of how to directly post a digital picture that isn't online. I do plan to photograph my own collection when the shelves are done and everything set up and would be glad to email pictures of it to you guys. If they don't read the lists of stories--maybe SEEING A PICTURE of all the books with DIFFERENT TITLES and the SAME AUTHOR would do it!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, how about this?

Phil

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 09-02-2004).]

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, I was suspicious when all the High School posts began to appear - so many similar questions made me think someone was trying to bring the board down by bombarding it with messages. It's now clear that these are just the results of enthusiasm, in some cases for F451, in some cases for message boards. I don't think we should knock it, as it has at the very least pushed the Moore threads way down to the bottom of most of the topics.

But if I were the tutor, I would be learning a lesson about how you need to drum in a little (n)etiquette...

Phil
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I'm a bit surprised at our(The Regulars) lack of response to most of their posts.

Are those of us not responding doing it because;

1) they can work things out together
2) feel we have nothing to contribute
3) are intimidated by their numbers

Come on guys....

After what we've been through lately, this should be a welcomed change and an opportunity to validate this place and ourselves.

Let's rise to the occassion and seize the moment. This is what we've been waiting for.

Come on guys!

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post