Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Switch on the Night

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Switch on the Night
 Login/Join

posted
Ray's children's book, SWITCH ON THE NIGHT, is one of my favorites. As someone who recalls being scared of the dark as a very young child (which was around the time the book was first published), I can only wish my parents had seen it at a bookstore and bought it for me to calm my fears. As for the book itself, not only does it tell a wonderful story for youngsters, but the book's illustrations...by Madeline Gekiere in the very rare 1955 first edition and by the incomparable Leo and Diane Dillon in the 1993 re-issue...match the story wonderfully.

I recall attending a science fiction convention in St. Louis in 1996 at which Ray was one of the guests of honor. The person in front of me asked Ray to autograph his copy of SWITCH ON THE NIGHT and commented, "Ray, I sure wish you would write more children's books." Ray replied, most sincerely, "But all of my books are children's books." I personally think what Ray meant is that his books are meant to be enjoyed by "kids" of all ages, whether they are truly young or just young-at-heart, and he was certainly right!

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had no idea Ray had ever written a children's book. I learn something every day from this board. Now I have another book to look for!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another children's book he wrote (he calls it a fable in the subtitle) is:

Ahmed and the Oblivion Machines: A Fable. Ray Bradbury. Ill by Chris Lane. Avon Books, NY. 1998.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both "Ahmed" and "The Halloween Tree" are about 4th-5th grade reading level while "Switch on the Night" is as simple as first grade level. His collections for young people, "R is for Rocket" and "S is for Space" are about 7th-8th grade level.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a very fine illustrated video of Ray's wonderful children's story, SWITCH ON THE NIGHT, available on Vimeo. It can be accessed by clicking on the link below. The illustrations in the video were done by Argentine artist Juan Marchesi, who illustrated the Spanish language edition of the book, titled "La niña que iluminó la noche", (Ediciones La Flor, Buenos Aires, 1974).

https://vimeo.com/91645558

posted Hide Post
Thinking more about Ray's children's book SWITCH ON THE NIGHT led me to wonder about Madeleine Gekiere, the artist who illustrated the wonderful (and scarce) 1955 first edition. I did some on-line research and discovered that Ms. Gekiere had committed suicide in 2014 (varying news accounts put her age at the time of her death at either 95 or 96). Apparently, she was in ill health, and the quality of her life had deteriorated greatly. The link below will take you to a news article about her passing. That article includes quotes from an interview with Ms. Gekiere in which she discussed her collaboration with Ray Bradbury, which had been a very happy experience for her. The article states: "Gekiere illustrated Ray Bradbury’s 1955 novel 'Switch on the Night.' She never met Bradbury, but said she enjoyed working with him. 'I never got any royalties on my other books,' Gekiere told a children’s-book blogger in 2012. 'But Ray Bradbury, no problem, he shared the profits . . . Just a very nice man.' Bradbury even sent her an inscribed first edition of 'Fahrenheit 451' that said, 'For Madeleine Gekiere — with the admiration and thanks of her collaborator.'

https://nypost.com/2014/07/02/...ad-in-nyc-apartment/