Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Farewell Summer

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Farewell Summer
 Login/Join

posted
My Pre-AP English class was asked to read a story by Ray Bradbury and post a comment about the book we read. I have not finished "Farewell Summer," but I have started it and am enjoying it.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too enjoy Farewell Summer. I especially like the interaction between the youth and elderly town folks. There's some specific parts I like, but don't want to ruin the story for you.

Posts: 83 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed "Farewell Summer" are more than I thought I would. I still harbor a prejudice that Bradbury writes great Science Fiction and Fantasy. In my old age, I sometimes forget how great he does with "straight" fiction. "Dandelion Wine" is fantastic. "Farewell Summer" was very enjoyable to read, also.

I loved the interactiom between the old and young and the "mystical" connection between the old Colonal in his passing and the young boy becoming a man as they experience the same sensation at the same time. This shows one of Bradbury's recurrent themes in his writing. He accepts the human condition and sees some of our normal functions as representative of our lives. He talks often of passion. When passion is born (in this case both a reality AND a metaphor) man becomes alive and full. When it ends, it is time to go.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post