Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Switch on the Night

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Switch on the Night
 Login/Join

posted
I received a copy of Ray's 1955 children's book Switch on the Night in today's post, which I had bought (sight unseen) just out of curiosity. Boy, what a disappointment. The text is fine (what little there is). But I think the illustrations are terrible; very loose line drawings in pink, black, and yellow---very unattractive. I can't imagine any child being interested in this.

HOWEVER... I see that there is a new edition out, with full-colour illustrations by Leo and Diane Dillon. I'm familiar with their work---in particular, they did a set of outstanding dust jacket paintings for Madeleine L'Engle's "Time Trilogy" (back when there were only three books in that series). Those were superb.

So, I guess my question is, does anyone have this newer version? And if so, what do you think of it? (I daresay I'll pick one up no matter what, eventually---it only costs a few dollars.)

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This book is just wonderful on so many levels. I've read it to my kids many times.

The Dillons dedicate their illustrations to M. C. Escher, and that influence is immediately apparent, but they set their table with much more than Escher. The book is truly a visual feast, and an excellent treatment of Ray's writing.

The copy I have is Knopf, with a priting date of August 2000.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
So, I guess my question is, does anyone have this newer version? And if so, what do you think of it?

I do, and I think it's beautifully illustrated, man.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, sounds like I'll have to make sure to buy the newer edition, now! I feel pretty sure I'll enjoy it...

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pray, my autumnal friend, where is The Land of Trees and Heroes? It sounds like you hail from The Old Country, Great Britain, no?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
I received a copy of Ray's 1955 children's book Switch on the Night in today's post, which I had bought (sight unseen) just out of curiosity. Boy, what a disappointment. The text is fine (what little there is). But I think the illustrations are terrible; very loose line drawings in pink, black, and yellow---very unattractive. I can't imagine any child being interested in this.

HOWEVER... I see that there is a new edition out, with full-colour illustrations by Leo and Diane Dillon. I'm familiar with their work---in particular, they did a set of outstanding dust jacket paintings for Madeleine L'Engle's "Time Trilogy" (back when there were only three books in that series). Those were superb.

So, I guess my question is, does anyone have this newer version? And if so, what do you think of it? (I daresay I'll pick one up no matter what, eventually---it only costs a few dollars.)

Just curious, does your edition glow in the dark? you likely own a true first edition now of a timeless classic. The Dillions version is less collectable, but nicer in overall readability. I own both versions and there are many that were previous library editions around for sale, that are not as collectable, usually in tough shape.

Ok, so I am a collector of Ray's works, I know that for sure now that I have gone and looked in the bookselves and found four different copies of Switch on the Night.
They are:
True First Edition 1955 sold for $2.50 Pantheon Books, with illustrations by Madeleine Gekiere (the publisher's information is on the title page only, There is no back to the title page. I paid $438 for this book, signed by Ray, in 2002.

The identical book but in the library edition binding, the publisher's information is on the back of the title page where the story starts. No price on this version, I paid $15 for this copy, still has the old check-out card in the book pocket in the back of the book - (its all computerized now, no more check out cards that you used to have to sign).

The version illustrated by the Dillons, published in 1993, with a price of $14.95 and in a separate dust cover that matches the hard book cover, Alfred A. Knopf publisher, signed by Ray, I paid $83 for this copy, first edition, first printing.

The same edition by the Dillons, pubished as an Umbrella Book by Alfred A. Knopf, without a dust jacket, 1993, signed by Ray, first edition. I don't recall what I paid for this one.

So, there is the list of available editions of Switch On The Night.

By the way, my comment about glowing in the dark relates to the book Fever Dream, Not Swtich On The Night. Fever Dream was published by St. Marten's Press, 1987 and had Night Lights glow in the dark highlights on each page.

My wife will kill me if she finds out I own all of these books!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patrask,

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Land of Trees and Heroes" - a Joan Aiken title?
Not familiar with her works.
I know of the UK as "Land Of Hope and Glory" (hymn set to Elgar's tune), but I'm probably dating myself...

I, too was underwhelmed by the "Switch On The Night" publication. Never bought it, but might buy the new one.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...The Land of Trees and Heroes...

Finland!?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
The Land of Trees and Heroes is taken from a short story of that title by Joan Aiken (a favourite author of mine). I thought it had a nice ring to it, though in my case this land is in rural western Pennsylvania!

Sleep in the laurel but for an hour
You'll sleep in the Silver Lady's power.
Those by the silver slumber taken
Only the Tawny Owl can waken.

In the Land of Trees and Heroes
The Tawny Owl is king.
Who locked the door, who holds the key
Hidden beneath his wing.

(This is referring to the fact that if you fall asleep in a laurel tree, you'll slip into a never-ending enchanted sleep, and in your dreams you'll end up in the company of all the great characters in literature...)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask: By the way, my comment about glowing in the dark relates to the book Fever Dream, Not Swtich On The Night. Fever Dream was published by St. Marten's Press, 1987 and had Night Lights glow in the dark highlights on each page.
Pity Switch on the Night wasn't originally glow-in-the-dark; that would have made it a bit more interesting. I really do find the 1950's version to be rather ugly. I have a library edition discard---solid, but with the usual markings. I paid about five dollars for it, and frankly that was far too much!

I've only just heard about the illustrated book version of Fever Dream, from reading some of the older messages on the board here. I'm kind of excited about that, actually, and think I'll buy a copy. I just loved glow-in-the-dark stuff when I was a kid! (Hmmm, I guess I still do, in fact...)