Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Please help me identify this story by Ray Bradbury

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help me identify this story by Ray Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
This has driven me nuts for years. If you help me solve this mystery, you will guarantee your place in Heaven.

I read a Ray Bradbury story as a child and I recall so little of the details but carry the memory with me. But I cannot remember why.

If I find it, and can read it again with adult eyes, I will divine why.

It involved a house of architectural interest. A person was walking through it and could see movement out of the corner of his eye but when he turned to see, the movement was gone. It turned out, he was seeing himself thanks to some kind of optical illusion in the architecture. In the end, the house folded in on itself somehow.

I recall no supernatural details as described in the There Will Come Soft Rains or The Veldt.

Does this ring any bells?

Thank you.

Felicia

Posts: 2 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 15 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Felicia,

it doesn't sound like a Bradbury story, but it DOES sound like the Robert Heinlein story called "- And He Built A Crooked House".

Read about the story here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%...uilt_a_Crooked_House

... and read the whole story here:
http://web.archive.org/web/200...nlein/heinlein1.html

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are my hero.

User-error as usual. I simply remembered it wrong. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

And for being a reader.

Posts: 2 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 15 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feliciacago:
You are my hero...

Not for nothing do I wear my underpants on the outside!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Not for nothing do I wear my underpants on the outside!

Well, I was going to mention something at the Mexican restaurant last August, but I thought perhaps you had a reason.

Underpants is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I thought it was kinda cute.

Cori

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post