Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Help With Story Title?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help With Story Title?
 Login/Join

posted
I have searched back two years on this site, and on stories by author and title, in an attempt to find the title of the story about a woman dying along with everyone else as the earth falls into the sun. Her dress sleeve catches fire... she wakes up to find it was a dream: the earth is actually falling away from the sun and the cold will kill all.

I do know that "Fever Dream" is not it, and possibly not "Frost and Fire" either. Or "The Lat Night of the World"? The title may be as simple as a woman's name. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

"Save your freedom. If anyone tells you you may not read Harry Potter because of 'witchcraft', run! Shun him. He's a Fireman."

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may be confusing a Ray Bradbury story, "Embroidery," or one of his others about nuclear holocaust, with an episode of "The Twilight Zone" titled "The Midnight Sun," written by Rod Serling, which originally aired November 17, 1961.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Midnight Sun" is one of my favourite episodes. I often think of it, though I don't think I've seen it since it was first aired!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I checked the Twilight Zone episodes and found a brief description. Since I read (not watched on TV) it in about 7th grade, and that was some decades ago, it is hard to place without finding again. But some books of Twilight Zone episodes were printed, I believe, and this was probably the source.

"Save your freedom. If anyone tells you you may not read Harry Potter because of 'witchcraft', run! Shun him. He's a Fireman."

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, there were at least three "Twilight Zone" short story collections, and "The Midnight Sun" appears in "New Stories from the Twilight Zone," New York: Bantam Books, 1972, which contains The Whole Truth; The Shelter; Showdown with Rance McGrew; The Night of the Meek; The Midnight Sun; and The Rip Van Winkle Caper.

Serling became discouraged at turning his stories into prose because they took so much longer than the TV versions and he made so much less on them.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Serling became discouraged at turning his stories into prose because they took so much longer than the TV versions and he made so much less on them.

Boy, that's for sure, especially in the days when most paperbacks sold for a buck or less...

Serling thinking: 'Let's see, I'll probably make about six cents per book royalty, times maybe 10,000 sales this year...makes it about six hundred dollars in royalties...OR, I can work for another six hours on producing this week's TZ script and get $10,000... Smiler

Well, it was an easy choice for ol' Rod. Back in those days, unlike now, the WRITERS of hit shows often were paid more than the star(s) of the show. Cool

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but somehow the powers that be managed to turn "Night Gallery" into some sort of hell for Rod. Although he was one of the most highly-awarded writers ever, his work on "The Twilight Zone" typecast him as an announcer. They wouldn't hardly let him write on "Night Gallery" and he still always got the blame when it was bad! A discouragement which ultimately sent him back east to teach.