Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP!
 Login/Join

posted
My husband has always been a big Bradbury fan and on a number of occasions he has mentioned a story that he cannot remember the name of. I would like to surprise him with a copy of it. The story is about a world with two suns. Every 2000 years the suns disappear and the people are able to see the stars and because of this event, chaos erupts and new religions evolve. If anyone can help me with this story, I would appreciate it.

Posts: 2 | Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this story is "Nightfall" by Isaac Asimov. A similar story by Bradbury is "All Summer in a Day" but it isn't about a world with two suns where once in a great while both set and the stars come out etc.

Let me know if I'm wrong, okay?

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This message came from Stephen Kane by way of rec.arts.books.childrens at MSN Groups:

"Nightfall" by Isaac Asimov.

This message came from Nicholas Young of the same group:

Almost certainly _Nightfall_ , though the world actually has six suns, not two, accounting for its almost-permanent daytime. Possibly the most-anthologised SF short story of all time, and one which consistently tops the polls. Asimov himself was surprised by its popular success, and I am also rather puzzled, since it's distinctly juvenile in many ways, containing a good deal of irritating pop psychology and with very shallow treatment of characters, religion and science.
But it _is_ gripping: I think it must be the central idea which somehow appeals to almost everyone who reads it, including me.
Definitely avoid the much later expanded-into-a-novel version by Asimov and someone else (possibly Robert Silverberg). Like most of Asimov's attempts to revisit his earlier themes, it's OK in its own right but nothing like as good as the original, and tends (at least for me) to spoil the original backwards.
Nicholas.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the nightfall video, and it remains unfinished in its case. I did'nt even rewind
it from a third of the way into it. I was disapointed with what I did see. Compared with what I had read in the Foundation Trilogy, and I Robot. It was falling short of the mark. Most of the time I would rather have the author help me paint the pictures in my head, rather than have someone else making the visual decisions for me. Books rule, who ever said a picture is worth a thousand words, never stayed up scared white eyed ----less from reading a well crafted goulish tale in less than thousand words, such as Interim. I know I digress, but here are some other up in the night favorites of mine, The Man Upstairs, The Smiling People, Free Dirt, The Emmisary, The Small Assassin, or The Jar. The Scythe.
Hey its Friday, works over, I'm outa here, have a good Memorial Day! uncle

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 05-24-2002).]

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is most definately NightFall by Asimov. I am grateful for everyone's help. Now if I can just find a copy of the orginal it will be great.
nkabza

Posts: 2 | Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
uncle:

(Per your post above of 2002)

Good grief !! ... Memorial Day 2004 is just a few weeks away....

In the above post, you mention all these wondeful stories...and how movies force you to take on images that may be contrary to the ones you have conjectured in your mind from reading a particular book or short story. That has always been the case with Bradbury's work...that it is literally impossible to put on the movie screen.

Ray is a poet.

Poetry is catching lake waves or the wind itself in the always original display of its character, and sculpturing it into words....It always is different, always new.
Reality is when you capture the character of that moment and show the one that has come to you, that honest face of the described....

I think the Mel Gibson movie, 'The Passion...' is exceptionally effective, because it is more...like we 'intuitively' see the 'story' in the gospel, and as it develops within us thru everyday life....

I, personally, think it just... just makes a tiny little scratch on the surface of a mammoth, grand narrative. But all the other directors, thruout cinema-land, were looking the other way and scratching their heads....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post