Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Another Lost Story

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Lost Story
 Login/Join

posted
Now, a long time ago, I was reading a copy of Fahrenheit 451 from the library, and it had two short stories in the back.

One I believe was called, "The Playground," where a father unwittingly takes the place of his, "delicate," son in the rough and tumble world of growing up.

The other one is far more valuable to me, and it's the one whose name I can't remember. It was a story that could have taken place directly after Fahrenheit 451, where a plush, European couple are on the run in Central (or South) America from a world that has destroyed their homelands and now seeks to eradicate their race entirely in a great nationalistic/revolutionary fervor.

During their doomed flight, they are given assistance from an old man driving a truck. As they move along, the subject of his month-old newspapers arises, and he tells them a bit of wisdom that I carry to this day.

He says that when he was young and lived in the city, he read the newspaper the day it was printed. For all the terrible things it reported, he would grow fiery and angry for all the great injustices of the world. However, once he moved to the countryside, the newspapers would be delayed by days or even weeks. Upon reading the stories, he found that they had no more substance, that he could spit on them for all they were worth, and that he was a much happier person for it.

It's a passage I've carried with me for a long time, always cautioning me against growing too involved in an emotional situation, and to step back and see what I could add to it before diving in blindly.

It's rather dear to me, and I would be most appreciative if I could learn the name of the story so I can carry a copy of my own.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brainwright,

Posts: 1 | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Brainwright, and welcome.

Those additional stories only appear in some editions of Fahrenheit 451, so this may have made it difficult for you to find them again.

The story you are looking for is "And The Rock Cried Out", which you can find in these Bradbury books:

Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales
    The Vintage Bradbury
    The Day it Rained Forever (a British book)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II: A story lost and found again, maybe!? The dusty trail goes on forever; it seems!

If new evidence is at all reliable, RB's "The Wonderful Death of Dudley Stone," comes to mind!
http://www.deseretnews.com/art...ript-found.html?pg=1

The original referred to is here: http://content.lib.utah.edu/cd...OOT=/pbb&CISOPTR=203 (Be sure to review the Table of Contents.)

I may search our library's vast resources for a borrow of a copy of the actual book!

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eh?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post