Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Dial Double Zero

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dial Double Zero
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everyone!

When I was in Elementary School (oh, do I dare say it was in the 60's?) I recall watching a 16mm movie about writers. Ray Bradbury was one of the writers being featured. I can't really remember the others. Nevertheless, this group of writers were depicted sitting and reading some of their latest works (in progress?), and critiquing each others stories. Mr. Bradbury read a story that was filled in with an acted portion; almost as if it were being narrated.

The story was called "Dial Double Zero" and was about an intelligence developing within the phone system, in particular, within a junction box on a pole outside some poor saps' apartment.

What I have never been able to find out is: does this story really exist?

It was because of that film and that story that I began reading everything by Ray Bradbury I could get my hands on. Alas, I have yet to find it. Has anyone else heard of it or seen the film?

Question:
1) Has anyone else heard of it or seen the film?
2) Does this story really exist?

Choices:
1) Yes
1) No
2) Yes
2) No

Posts: 2 | Location: Anaheim, CA | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone else may come along and answer this.

__________In the meanwhile...

...I'm not sure if anything of your question can be answered in this Ray Bradbury video. But if you have the time, check it out since it has to do with Ray in the 1960's!

http://www.archive.org/details/RayBradburyStoryOfAWriterByDavidL.Wolper

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, what a gem!! And, a great post J.T.!!

Has Mr. B. changed at all over the years? Today, his comments continue to ring as passionately 45yrs. since the making of this documentary. "I am sure we will reach the stars!" ~ his closing remark...you got to believe!

How many great images are in this clip that are recognizable from things mentioned here over the years or read about from his bios!
(N, How did you find out about this piece of literary history?)

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John T.:
Alas, I have yet to find it. Has anyone else heard of it or seen the film?

I have the DVD. Also, I believe philnic does, as well. Anybody else?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John T. and fjp, it's been much discussed on here previously. ONE of the threads on the topic is here:

https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/5591014372/p/1

I seem to recall a recent post suggesting that "Dial Double Zero" (short story) would be published in one of Ray's forthcoming books. (It has, until now, been unpublished except for its appearance in the STORY OF A WRITER film.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THAT WAS IT!!!! :-) Fantastic!

All these years and I thought I had imagined it!
Watching that film again so vividly reminds me of sitting in my 4th grade classroom, the smell of lunches stored in the cabinet, the teacher cursing under her breath as she tries to thread the 16mm film (I eventually stepped up to help), and the annoying sound of the projector constantly ticking away. You knew the film was over by the static from the speaker, the hand puppets upon the all-white screen, and the flipping sound of the full reel.
Yep. Good times.
Thanks so much for finding that!
JT

Posts: 2 | Location: Anaheim, CA | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I seem to recall a recent post suggesting that "Dial Double Zero" (short story) would be published in one of Ray's forthcoming books.

You recall correctly.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post