Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Writer's block and reading Ray.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Writer's block and reading Ray.
 Login/Join

posted
I am new around here and I would have to imagine this topic has been discussed, but I have to throw it out there anyway: I occasionally suffer writer's block of varying degrees of severity, and reading Ray has always been a sure fire way of shaking off that mental impotence...

Posts: 17 | Location: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray has claimed there is no such thing as writer's block, but I loved it in one of his books, either "Death is a Lonely Business" or "A Graveyard for Lunatics" when he talked about the writer main character going through "Dry Spell, Arizona." It makes me feel better to think about.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Dandelion! It's almost like Instant Messaging!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dryspell,Arizona is in Death is a Lonely Business.

Writer's block is very real, but maybe one should call it writer's fatigue or sluggishness.

Posts: 17 | Location: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There may be almost as many reasons for writer's block as there are writers, and maybe Ray didn't really say there was no such thing in those words. I don't have the quote in front of me, and, if I did, there's a good chance he'd say I misunderstood his meaning by it.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Writers block? Don't really believe in it. I think sometimes we dry up, a number of reasons is that we don't read enough of anything or just go out and participate in life. We all have dry spells.

Andrewo

Posts: 7 | Location: UK | Registered: 18 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once ran into the wall.
It happened after I took a completed manuscript and dumped it into a garbage can outside of Las Vegas. I had a whim that the whole story was crap...which it was definitely not.
For some reason, this action began a block that lasted three years.

In the end, I rewrote the entire book and then published the thing. Haven't had any problems since. But, writers' block is very real. Getting out and about helps. Trying to work on a new project, a smaller project than the one you are currently working on can help. Cool

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I posted some thoughts about writer's block last week at my blog MERE WORDS:

http://chidder.livejournal.com/10840.html

Your comments are welcome. Enjoy!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 01 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your blog is good, but the accompanying graphic will probably give me nightmares!

posted Hide Post
I too, dug the blog.

posted Hide Post
Here's what Ray Bradbury had to say about writer's block:

"What if you have a blockage and you don’t know what to do about it? Well, it’s obvious you’re doing the wrong thing, aren’t you? . . . You’re being warned, aren’t you? Your subconscious is saying I don’t like you anymore. You’re writing about things I don’t give a damn for. . . If you have writers’ block you can cure it this evening by stopping what you’re doing and writing something else. You picked the wrong subject."

Posts: 2465 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post