Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    The Martian Chronicles

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Martian Chronicles
 Login/Join

posted
For me, The Martian Chronicles was inspiring. The way Bradbury warns man of the misuses of technology and science is great. I agree with Ray on many things he brings up in The Martian Chronicles. I used to feel like the only one in the world who saw how we will end up killing ourselves through science and technology if we don't slow down a bit. After reading this one book, I found one who agrees in a way. Ray and The Martian Chronicles inspired me to continue to look for weaknesses in our society and to try and find a way, small or large, to help it. I know that I'm only a freshman in HS, but you never know what the future may hold.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly, we may never know what the future holds for humanity. Ray Bradbury pointed out that he wrote science fiction to prevent the future from happening. It certainly shows in The Martian Chronicles. I think that is what is so appealing about Ray's famous book. The Martian Chronicles acts like a mirror in front of humanity, and shows the reader what humanity is capable of. The character of Jeff Spender pointed out to John Wilder that humanity has a talent for ruining big, beautiful things. He was not that far off the mark. Especially when Sam Parkhill witnessed the destruction of Earth in the inferno of a nuclear war. Humanity could learn a thing or two from Ray Bradbury's classic science fiction adventure.

Posts: 41 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to mention, Sam Parkhill wasn't thinking, "Oh, the humanity!" he was thinking, "Dang, there go my customers!"

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ha, yeah.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he was thinking that. LOL! That's the price people pay for being careless and plagued by human greed and folly. Sam and Elma were stuck with half of Mars in the end, and with no use for it. In the mini-series, Sam Parkhill was depicted as the not-so-careless type. Darren McGavin played him as a pretty humble person. I liked that version of Sam than I did the one depicted in Ray's book. Too bad there are not that many humble people in the world.

Posts: 41 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Martian Chronicles was a favorite book and when I became a theatre teacher, it was the first solo main stage production I produced. For me, it was a way of paying homage to a guy I had admired for years and doubted I would ever get to thank in person.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 22 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post