Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Faith:
It's like Obama telling Israel that building in the disputed territories is unacceptable, but fails to tell the Palestinians that firing 6,000 rockets into civilian areas in Israel is unacceptable.
True, I don't know what Obama was thinking. He's been acting without thinking. Not only that, but Israel is one of our only allies in the middle east.

From Obama's speech in Cairo:

"America's strong bonds with Israel are well known. This bond is unbreakable. It is based upon cultural and historical ties, and the recognition that the aspiration for a Jewish homeland is rooted in a tragic history that cannot be denied."

"Palestinians must abandon violence. Resistance through violence and killing is wrong and does not succeed...

It is a sign of neither courage nor power to shoot rockets at sleeping children, or to blow up old women on a bus. That is not how moral authority is claimed; that is how it is surrendered."

Just sayin.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
I just wish that you had put dates on the various aspects of your story, a time line so to speak, to better understand the perspective. One thing that you left out, and I am sure it came from your experience with printing, is that you are a fantastic artist working with a medium that is truly unique. Are you still using this and creating new work?

biplane~ For now, getting the facts and sequences in order is more important. Maybe later the exact dates. Trying my hand on my painting again this summer.
Here's one (repro not as good here. Actual painting is 'brighter')...of an alien in its alien craft. (Or whatever you think it is)...

ImageP1030007.JPG (92 Kb, 11 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Palestinians must abandon violence. Resistance through violence and killing is wrong and does not succeed...

It is a sign of neither courage nor power to shoot rockets at sleeping children, or to blow up old women on a bus. That is not how moral authority is claimed; that is how it is surrendered."

Apparently, I had read the talk from too partisan a perspective. I like his lines here. They do place both blame, condemnation, and obligation. I do know how to admit when I'm wrong. I still think his condemnation of Arab violence and repression could be more consistent, and would like to see him recognize the virtues of Israel's democratic principles--such of feedom of religion and freedom of speech with more passion.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
I still think his condemnation of Arab violence and repression could be more consistent

The speech writers wanted to butter up the Muslim (I don't wanna say arab world, because the Iranians aren't arab) world in order to combat the anti-american sentiment in the region. I do agree that they went a little too far.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the better strategy to promote that would be to highlight moderate Muslims rather than ignoring the "bad" ones. Pretending evil is not there has never been a very good solution to evil. I think we should have learned the lessons of appeasement in WWII. Appeasement doesn't work.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. In this context, Merriam's 3rd defintion is applicable:
RE: Appease "pacify, conciliate ; especially: to buy off (an aggressor) by concessions usually at the sacrifice of principles"

History will - too often, does - repeat itself.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting for any Muslim cleric to go on record condemning suicide bombings...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.acommonword.com/ind...lang=en&page=option1

138 Islamic clerics and scholars published an open letter to the world exhorting both sides--Christians and Muslims--to work toward peace. In this document, they quote both the Qur'an and the Bible on the worship of one God and that the highest two laws are love of God and love of neighbors. I have written a paper on the possibility of a moderate exegesis of the Qur'an and delivered it to very positive reception by Muslims. There are many Muslims who want peace and denounce violence. Sometimes the problem is that they don't seem to speak up enough; but when 138 clerics and scholars from multiple nations and Islamic schools publish documents like these and the media gives them no coverage it is difficult for the moderates to have a voice. The news covers the violent. Does it cover the peaceful?

This open letter to Pope Benedict was also published, reflecting similar themes and responding to remarks Pope Benedict had previously made:

http://www.saudi-us-relations....1018-open-letter.pdf

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mr. Dark,

posted Hide Post
Exegesis is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask the Bishop

Question: I recently attended your three lectures in Austin, Texas. You are an important person in my growth. I was raised as a fundamentalist, and you allowed me to begin and continue my journey. You mentioned prayer, and defined the prayers of most as "adult letters to Santa Claus." I must admit that it is an excellent definition. My question is this: What does prayer look like you to today? Thank you for continuing to educate.

Answer: I don't like to use the word prayer, because it is culturally translated as one person approaching the theistic God above the sky with a request. The word itself has become bankrupt and not capable of redemption.

Instead, I think of prayer as communing with the holy, that which is transcendental, the power of life, the consciousness of the divine, the Ground of Being or perhaps the source of love. I do not commune with God in order to seek divine favor or to engage in religious flattery that people call praise. I commune to discover God within me and to be more open to that presence. I do not separate prayer from life. I do not think prayer is something I do, so much as it is something I am.

Public worship has elements of liturgical prayer in it and I engage in public worship every Sunday. I believe the purpose of liturgy is to open us to the presence of the holy in the gathered community. I resent having medieval patterns of liturgy imposed on me, as if somehow plainsong music and priestly chanting creates holiness. To me it only creates irrelevant liturgy. I have written on prayer many times. I experience more in prayer than I can describe in words. That is as far as I can go.

- John Shelby Spong

Mr Knox: Go!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding: At last Bishop Spong makes a favorable comment pertaining to the understanding of prayer. I am sure he slips up once in a while and says something truth-worthy.

Here is one of my more favorite paintings. Did this one in Chicago. (Again, colors more vibrant in the original). I'm slowly setting up a work area up in Brea, California, by a friend of mine who owns a printing shop, to churn out some "paintings. Already have access to lots of discarded printer's ink, which is what I exclusively use in all my work.

ImageNard_Card-2.jpeg (253 Kb, 11 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Doug Spaulding: At last Bishop Spong makes a favorable comment pertaining to the understanding of prayer. I am sure he slips up once in a while and says something truth-worthy.

Here is one of my more favorite paintings. Did this one in Chicago. (Again, colors more vibrant in the original). I'm slowly setting up a work area up in Brea, California, by a friend of mine who owns a printing shop, to churn out some "paintings. Already have access to lots of discarded printer's ink, which is what I exclusively use in all my work.

Beautful work. Do you use printer's Ink with a brush or a dip pen? Woodblocks?

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:

quote:
Beautful work. Do you use printer's Ink with a brush or a dip pen? Woodblocks?

Well, thanks 4 D tweet, John. Nope. No woodblock. No dip. No brush. No Q-tips or blow torch. No chiseling in copper plate or scrapping with razor blade. No nuttin' of the sorts. The making of this particular painting included about 40 minutes of preparation. And then completed as blank "canvas" to finished piece in approximately 30 seconds. It's the prep that takes the time, both mental and physical. How then? Paints are applied to a large glass plate. The paper is rolling onto the glass plate and, OLA! A one shot Polaroid style print. Just much larger.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Well, thanks 4 D tweet, John. Nope. No woodblock. No dip. No brush. No Q-tips or blow torch. No chiseling in copper plate or scrapping with razor blade. No nuttin' of the sorts. The making of this particular painting included about 40 minutes of preparation. And then completed as blank "canvas" to finished piece in approximately 30 seconds. It's the prep that takes the time, both mental and physical. How then? Paints are applied to a large glass plate. The paper is rolling onto the glass plate and, OLA! A one shot Polaroid style print. Just much larger.

Oh, the lost wax process.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Oh, the lost wax process.

Naw! That's a sculpturing process. I came up with this while working as a printer. It probably has some name somewhere from someone who came up with it long before me.