Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Oh, the lost wax process.

Naw! That's a sculpturing process. I came up with this while working as a printer. It probably has some name somewhere from someone who came up with it long before me.

Art, Nard. The word is Art!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Oh, the lost wax process.

Naw! That's a sculpturing process. I came up with this while working as a printer. It probably has some name somewhere from someone who came up with it long before me.

Art, Nard. The word is Art!

So a guy with the name of Art came up with this process before a guy named Nard perfected it.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are we turning into the Three Stooges?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Are we turning into the Three Stooges?

Ray much prefers Laurel and Hardy. I'm a bigger fan of Abbott and Costello.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: Cool work!

Doug: When you post Spong's stuff, can you give us YOUR take on it? It's not a Spong bulletin board. So I'm interested in what fans of Bradbury may think in these lines. I have a couple of Spong's books. So if you could provide YOUR insights on Spong's views, I think that would make the posts more helpful. Short quotes with YOUR view of the relevance. If I ONLY want Spong's views, I can get them myself. Just a thought.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
Doug: When you post Spong's stuff, can you give us YOUR take on it?

I agree with it!

I'll try to do better.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, what a combination here--politics/religion and your art!

I have never named my paintings due to the fact that I want people to see what they want to in my abstracts. But I love what you do, and I am sure that although you may have an idea of what you would like to see in your work, you really never know, because the medium works itself, you don't work it. But that last painting, what looks like a landscape, very, very nice.

I have to go looking as to where I have filed away a couple of my pieces here on my computer.

Obviously you have sold your work. Do you frame them yourself or have the client frame them as they might wish?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why does the term "ink emulsions" come to my mind?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting back
to the
original intent
of this Forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpQOCvthw-o

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Solstice to one and all.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Believers of all faith: be happy that you live in a country that questions NOT your right to have that belief, but ensures that whatever you believe, and how you chose to exercise that belief is defended by the Constitution of the United States.

Contary to what was said in the Utube video, many of the founding fathers of this country were not of an organized religion, spoke out against the dogma of the then existing religious ideas, which had caused so much terror and hurt in the land they had left behind, and embraced the fundamental right of all citizens to follow their own path, including the right NOT to believe in a particular god. Since many of the persons that put their sacred honor and lives at stake to make this country a reality were also Masons, it is of little wonder that a reference to a Creator, aka Architect of the Universe, would be a theme in their thoughts.

A little serious reading in history will start to convince you that what was oversimplified in the video is countered by statements made by those who fought over the exact words, or lack of words, that are in the documents that now govern our country. Saying that we are founded on Judean-Christian principles is overstating the obvious. We are founded on equal rights for ALL men/women to worship as they see fit. The only Juean-Christian principle I can see applicable here is: 1) Love thy neighbor as thyself; 2) Do unto others what you would have done unto you. And I would add a 3): Let others do what they believe as long it hurts not and causes no pain to those who do not believe.

http://ffrf.org/

http://ffrf.org/nontracts/xian.php

Peace be to all on this Father's Day and Celebration of the Summer Solstice, with wishes that all peoples in the world had the rights that were given to our citizens by those who fought so hard to achieve them for us.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True, Phil. Chrisitianity is a religion, and as such, it is to be accepted or rejected by individuals. It's impossible to say that a country is of a particular faith.

Here's an article I came across by guess who regarding the origins of Easter. I think it's very interesting how things change over centuries and then the modern era accepts them as if they always were.

Let me be specific about the following parts of the resurrection story: An angel did not descend from the sky on the wings of an earthquake to roll away the stone from the door of the tomb in order to make the resurrection announcement. A deceased man did not walk out of his grave physically alive three days after his execution by crucifixion. The risen Jesus did not walk, talk, eat, teach or invite the disciples to handle his physical flesh. Jesus did not literally defy gravity and ascend to the top of a three-tiered universe. These legendary aspects of the Easter story are no longer viewed as literally true in the academic world of biblical scholarship. We are not going to make sense out of the meaning of Easter if we have to defend the accuracy of these pre-modern details.

Buttressing these conclusions is the fact that a close study of the gospel texts reveals that these details did not find their way into the written gospels until the ninth decade of the common era. These details are the products of a tradition that arose more than 50 years after the Easter moment. They are not original to the story and therefore should not be thought of as either literally true or as descriptively accurate.

Yet, even if one is skeptical about these details, can one with credibility still argue that nothing of profound significance actually occurred? I do not think so. There was something powerful and life-changing about the Easter experience that the earliest Christians could not deny. That something must be examined deeply even as we move far beyond miraculous claims of erupting supernatural power. Whatever Easter was originally, it appears to have broken open the human sense of being bound by finitude and death. It seems to have captured people inside a sense of transcendence that was not bound by time. It removed the barriers impeding human consciousness, and it emerged in the startling realization that a life-changing power was connected in an intimate way with Jesus. That is the reality that cries out to be explored.

Easter dawned when a small group of people felt that their lives and their consciousness had been expanded to new dimensions. How could they describe something ultimately beyond the limits of their humanity, but which had, they believed, embraced their humanity. It was a time when certain people's eyes were opened to see that life was more powerful than death, that love was more powerful than hatred, and that being was more powerful than non-being. It was an awakening to a totally new reality. It was real beyond dispute, and yet no words existed in the human vocabulary that could capture that reality. So our task when trying to understand the meaning of Easter is to look not at the ancient descriptions, but rather to examine the effects that occurred in the lives of those who claimed this experience.

Those effects are seen when the disciples who had forsaken Jesus in fear and who had abandoned him in cowardice suddenly became fearless, heroic people ready to die for the truth that now possessed them. Easter's effects are seen when the perception of God changed so dramatically that it represented something new. Something happened that caused Jewish disciples, taught their whole lives that God was wholly other and that this God could never be captured in finite words or symbols, to claim that Jesus was part of what they believed God to be. From that moment on, the way these people thought of either God or human life would never be the same.

That Easter experience caused people to say that Jesus must now be seen as part of who or what God is. God had, in effect, left the sky and was now found in the self-giving love of Jesus, in whom a new depth to human life was also revealed. That was a profound revolution in human thinking. From that moment on, they were convinced God could be encountered in human form as life, love, and being. So they said that Jesus had entered the fullness of life and love whose source is God, and that Jesus had touched the ground of being whose depth is God.

- Spong

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Throw me off this site if you want, but Doug Spaulding and your ilk are full of crap. The Bishop Spongs of this world are so entrenched in their own dismal understanding of scripture that it is a sin not to rebuke these people to their faces. Doug Spaulding you are full of crap! Along with your Bishop. You make a farce of Jesus Christ. You make a farce of scripture. You make a farce of God.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Golly! Someone is upset.

But I can see why. The fundamental issue is a complete non-understanding of the basics of Christianity That is, one is invaded by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is not an imaginary phantom, or a product of a misguided mind, or some sort of fairy tale up in the sky. You can experience it.ANd when you do you're really never the same again. These guys like Spong and Spaulding form a team of non participants in basic Christian experience. They like to be on the end branches of theory and self, unable to "taste" what Christ offers. If they did, they would never make the comments they do.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: embroiderer,

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just thought it was an interesting alternate take on the meaning of Easter. Nobody wants anybody thrown off this site. Why would you say such a thing? All (except spammers) are welcome here.

"Live Forever!"