Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    F 451 changed writing as we know it

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

F 451 changed writing as we know it
 Login/Join

posted
I thought I knew how to write. I didn't know a thing until I read F 451 by Ray. The first sentence and I was hooked! Thank you, Ray Bradbury, for inspiring amateurs like myself to become better and better writers every time they read your work.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 30 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True enough, indeed! He does have some great lines!

"First of all, it was October, a rare month for boys."

What are some more?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"... it was a rain to drown all rains and the memory of rains."

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The facts about John Huff, aged twelve, are simple and soon stated."

(And the rest of the poetry that tells of Doug's best friend ever...)
He could pathfind more trails then any Choctaw or Cherokee since time began, could leap from the sky like a chimpanzee from a vine, could live underwater for two minutes and slide fifty yards downstream from where you last saw him. The baseballs you pitched him he hit in the apple trees, knocking down harvests. He could jump six-foot orchard walls, swing up branches faster and come down, fat with peaches, quicker than anyone else in the gang. He ran laughing. He sat easy. He was not a bully. He was kind. His hair was dark and curly and his teeth were white as cream. He remembered the words to all the cowboy songs and would teach you if you asked. He knew the names of all the wild flowers and when the moon would rise and set and when the tides came in and out. He was, in fact, the only god living in the whole of Green Town, Illinois, during the twentieth century that Douglas Spaulding knew of.”

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great choice, Butch!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://video.yahoo.com/network...?v=8545977&l=5144423

Seeing this, I was metaphorically drawn to the feelings and images created by Mr. Bradbury's writing. How many times has a verse from one of his stories said exactly what you have seen, heard, or thought? His Green Town stories are filled with such moments...I think!

F451 also has such slow motion, microscopic analysis of what Montag is experiencing but can't quite relate to because of previous years of impervious living.

Mr. Bradbury has been able to capture what we see, and now technology is finally catching up with him so may decades later. In any event, maybe jkt could show this to Mr. B and see what his reaction to it would be.

(If so, extend my regard, of course! f)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice Frank. Thank you for posting this.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post