Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    OT--Writing Implements Which Don't Exist But Should

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT--Writing Implements Which Don't Exist But Should
 Login/Join

posted
Not strictly about Bradbury, but is science fictional!

If anyone has invented a device which will print directly from digital text to paper (any paper, including bound journals--not just sheets fed through a printer--), I'd be eager to hear about it! If not, I at least need a decent pen! For years I've been using a Papermate PhD because the way it is designed creates only moderate hand cramps instead of the unbearable agony inflicted by standard pens. It takes refills and I don't know if I got a bad one or what, but I've found about 50% of the time it skips so badly I have to retrace and it still won't write everywhere I want, when I want, even on a second or often a third try--it takes 5 or 10 tries to complete one word in acceptable form (to say readable form might be going too far) so you can imagine how long writing just one day's entry takes! Also so much retracing makes my writing rough and shaky which, as I said, it is even under the best of conditions. Of course, the pen works fine for scribbling on scratch paper, it just won't write words where and when I want them. I have a similar pen (no brand that I can see, a freebie) I don't like any better.

These are the characteristics I need:

--Writes with ink and doesn't smear (not a pencil).
--Ink is archival and won't fade, otherwise deteriorate, or damage the writing surface, if possible.
--Comfortable grip, not skinny and slippery and harder than hell to hold!
--Puts ink evenly on the paper where I place the tip of the pen at the time I place it there--not in a misshapen blob 20 minutes later in some other sector of the universe!
--Writes smoothly without skipping half the time. Probably some felt tips or roller pens are better than ballpoints at this but they bleed through the page and can't be used on anything which needs to be written on both sides! Gel pens, I don't have enough experience to know about--any better?
--Refillable. Does not dry out prematurely.
--Point is thin enough so the writing is clear but not so pointy it constricts ink flow or damages the paper.

I know, I know...too much to ask...in fact, this isn't even a request for a decent pen, it's simply a rant! Just in case such a thing exists, though, I do have to go to a larger community soon and thought if such a device were available over the counter perhaps I could pick one up at Staples if I knew what to get. If not and it must be ordered, again would appreciate knowing what the thing is and where one might obtain it. If not invented, maybe I'll suggest it. Thanks!

EDIT: Ack! It's existed for years, its designer won an award, but it's yet to be produced for purchase! Frustration! http://www.ohgizmo.com/2011/05...gital-camera-in-one/ I am going all Veruca Salt over this! I want it NOW!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I write with this:

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do they still make that or is it a museum piece?

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the classic utensil our parochial education required (grades 5-8), The Sheaffer cartridge pen. I still have one or two and they still work fine.
https://images.search.yahoo.co...s-001&hspart=mozilla

https://images.search.yahoo.co...s-001&hspart=mozilla

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Do they still make that or is it a museum piece?

Freshly made even today! Nib is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This information astounds me.

posted Hide Post
I go back far enough* that I can remember the ink we had to use in our fountain pens at school - it was called "radiant blue". Wonder if they still call it that?

*there's a Paul McCartney song that goes "I go back so far/I'm in front of me"

Posts: 700 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post