Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Walk don't drive
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walk don't drive
 Login/Join

posted
Ray Bradbury has never driven a car. He's only driven us to the other side of our psyche.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hunter Nash,

Posts: 3 | Registered: 09 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hunter Nash.

A few words from a short story in progress? Or a paragraph from chapter 13 of your crime novel? McBain would approve.

And should there be Fear and Loathing in North Carolina, Weller is likely suspect. Not necessarily the usual suspects, since, as you say, he is a charming fellow. Notice any sneaky hand signals to undetermined locations in between his book signings? I met him once during a lecture in a silver-fish infested bookstore. Figured him for counter-intelligence spy. Later, a semi- convincing government mole.

You sound like your on your way to a beautiful mind. No car? Too bad. Ever drive a Nash?

What else can I say? Try, try, try to sleep. But, then, the persistent effort may keep you awake.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4Ray:
Dude what are you smoken, check those Funyons

He's an artist.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Silverfish is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Answer to the Q, "What does a mother owl with no interest in her little fledglings do?"

"Arteest," DS!! Also, I believe it is spelled "peanut!"

Happy trails...

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sleeps a good thing...It has helped me out quite a bit...Henry Miller would be proud...

believer in Douglas

Posts: 58 | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonight is 12:00 in Raleigh,NC.
The concert was fantastic. Van Halen continues to rock. My ears are still ringing. My complaint is minimal... why so loud? I smell like a concert go-er.

Enough about my current fun..., back to Bradbury,, I am 1/2 way through Sam's bio on Razor B's book. It keeps me awake on the airplane. The chilling fact is no one gives a hoot. (?) He really did grow up as a sheltered child - amazed and brilliant. A great combo to becoming an astute author.

The next day someone dies, a spring mayfly mates and lives for a few weeks. They turn opposite each other and cling and fly off. Insects in sex. By the way , re-incarnation...I don't believe its my Indian buddy's great aunt trying to get to a higher plane. Only airplanes and spaceships get to a higher plane.
Over and Out. -Hunter

hunternash.com

Posts: 3 | Registered: 09 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time I drop by to read what's been going on here, I either have to re-program the part of my brain that looks for linear lines of reasoning, or else just suspend the thing entirely. Razzer

Somewhat along the lines of trying to read James Joyce...only different...

Posts: 18 | Registered: 25 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...the sidewalks were buckled, grown over with grass. Everyone inside watching television into the late hours of the night, shades drawn.

Gasoline $150 a barrel, $5.00 a gallon..."Walking. Just walking!!!"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Gasoline $150 a barrel, $5.00 a gallon..."Walking. Just walking!!!"

Double it to get the typical UK price. (Ever wondered why Europeans drive smaller cars?)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No reason for high oil costs. Plenty of oil in US. We just won't drill or refine.

Walking, as per Bradbury's "Pedestrian" is the cure for many of the things that ail us--both physical and mental. I recommend Henry Thoreau's essay, "Walking" for those interested in the topic.

Hope you are all well.

kvk. I'm a bit partial to linear reasoning, as well. Have a hard time making sense of some postings. But it takes all kinds to make the world work, and my lack of a creative edge doesn't diminish my appreciation of someone else's (I do want to be able to make sense of idea, though). Is pure randomness creativity or is it just random?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Solvitur ambulando!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had to look it up: "It is solved by Walking".

There's a cool write-up here: http://www.energybulletin.net/38227.html

But, like in Back to the Future, I don't like to think in terms of limits. (Back to the Future: "Where we're going, there are no limits"). The suggestion that we solve our energy problem by cutting back is naive. As the third world grows, it will have massive energy demands. I doubt we can meet the food and energy needs of six billion people by "cutting back". We've read "Brave New World" and it is ugly.

We need to look forward, not back. Learn from the past, but move forward into the future.

On walking as a healthy lifestyle? Absolutely. On walking as a powerful spiritual aid? Absolutely.

Again, love Thoreau's essay referenced above.

Thanks for the quote. I need to learn my Latin.....

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took two years of Latin in High School. The only things I remember are too nasty to repeat, sayings that use the Latin phase to simulate the English meanings, ah, we were naughty boys then! Still are!

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saunter..

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post