Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    What's the big fuss?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the big fuss?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I'm almost amused by the way Moore supporters characterize Ray Bradbury's comments, but not quite. They call him mad, a raving lunatic, one who is throwing hissy fits, etc. Ray Bradbury made one simple request, that Michael Moore ask Ray's thoughts on this form of Homage. That simple. He hasn't been running around yelling his head off, cornering people and asking them questions at inconvenient times without allowing them to answer, and so on and so forth. That would describe Michael Moore's behavior. Then, all of the sudden, Moore supporters come out of the woodwork, exagerate everything, and attack Bradbury's competence. It's actually typical, sad to say. You guys can disagree with Ray, that's fine, but you're the ones doing it in the form of hissy fits. The anti-Bradbury posters on this site don't even adequately respond to the level-headed posts made in Bradbury's defense; they just respond by calling those of us defending him doo-doo heads, and repeat exactly what they said before without any real supporting arguments. Some who have disagreed with Bradbury have been mostly civil, and even presented an interesting case, but almost invariably these posts have to throw in a few cheap shots and accusations that detract from the initial argument (i.e. "so Ray Bradbury must support killing thousands of people"). Pretty rediculous.

Posts: 7 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in turn i find it amusing that "ye olde posters of the bradbury forum" like to sit back and ramble on about how Bradbury didnt actually even get angry at Michael Moore for using the word Fahrenheit and then a number as his title.....like yourself they enjoy going as far as saying that he didnt even call moore a terrible person as the article clearly states....but who cares about what was "Actually said" as long as you articluate your arguement well enough it doesnt matter if what you say is just as offensive as a boorish curse. as long as it sounds like your talking about the weather than it wont get "revised" by the super biased moderator of this dusty little site. I for one like to talk the way i feel....and if i feel engaged by an arguement than i go ahead and engage myself....you are only kidding yourself if you feel the need to censor someone whenever they get mildly inflamed by what they are seeing transgress...

.................God o' <br />Thunder...........

Posts: 70 | Location: US | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thormachine,

I don't recall any of us making the claim that Ray wasn't angry with Moore. Clearly he was. I think Bradbury had good reason. You don't.

Okay.

Where do you want to go from here?

Best,

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by paddyryan:
Ray Bradbury made one simple request, that Michael Moore ask Ray's thoughts on this form of Homage. .

yes....yes they did....in fact that is what i was responding to....the fact that this whole stupid little thing is being pushed into a George W. Bushesque extreme of truth and lies......

Posts: 70 | Location: US | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This site has censored crude language as long as I've been coming here. You should know the rules by now. If you use crude language, it will be edited. You keep crying censorship when you don't understand the concept. You shouldn't assail Dandelion when you don't know anything about her -- but you are very quick to attack in ignorance. Dandelion does a great job here for very little reimbursement. What you call a lackey (or one of you other Moore fans -- you all sound alike to me now) I call a dedicated fan. Dandelion, if you'd bother to read the history on the board, has done an amazing job of compiling and categorizing his works. A significant task.

Sitting in ignorant judgement is your choice, thormachine. But you seem frustrated that your view is not accepted. Then engage in discussion at a higher level if you want to be taken seriously. And avoid the exagerrated, false claims.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
June 17, 2004

Friends,

We're a week away from the nationwide opening of "Fahrenheit 9/11" and not a day goes by where we don't have some new battle to fight thanks to those who are still working overtime to keep people from seeing this film. What's their problem? Are they worried about something?

A Republican PR firm has formed a fake grassroots front group called "Move America Forward" to harass and intimidate theater owners into not showing "Fahrenheit 9/11." These are the same people who successfully badgered CBS into canceling the Reagan mini-series a few months ago. And they are spending a ton of money this week to threaten movie theaters who even think about showing our movie.

As of this morning, a little over 500 theaters have agreed to show the movie beginning next Friday, June 25. There are three national/regional theater chains who, as of today, have not booked the movie in their theaters. One theater owner in Illinois has reported receiving death threats.

The right wing usually wins these battles. Their basic belief system is built on censorship, repression, and keeping people ignorant. They want to limit or snuff out any debate or dissension. They also don't like pets and are mean to small children. Too many of them are named "Fred."

This new nut group is the Right's last hope in limiting how many people can see this movie. All of their other efforts have failed.. Let's recap:

1. Roger Friedman at FOX News reported that the head of the company which first agreed to fund our film �got calls from Republican friends� pressuring them to back out. And they did. But... Miramax immediately picked up the film! Except...

2. Michael Eisner, the chairman of Disney, then blocked Miramax (a company owned by Disney) from releasing the film once it was finished. But... public attention and embarrassment forced Disney to let the Weinstein brothers of Miramax find another distributor! But...

3. Instead of a new distributor stepping right in -- as all the media predicted would happen -- it took another month to find distributors who would take on this movie. A number of other distributors, thanks to various pressures, were afraid to get involved. It looked for a while that we would be distributing this ourselves. But then Lions Gate and IFC Films rode in to the rescue!

So, we have beaten back all attempts to kill this movie, and the only thing in the way of you now seeing "Fahrenheit 9/11" is this Republican big-money front group trying to force theaters not to show the movie.

Please, contact your local theaters and let them know you want to see "Fahrenheit 9/11." Tell them that some people don't know that this is America and that we believe in freedom of speech and the importance of ALL voices being heard. (The members of MoveOn.org�an ACTUAL grassroots organization�have done a very cool thing. They are pledging to send a message to theater owners and are planning to attend a showing of the film on its opening weekend.)

I appreciate their efforts, but you don�t have to be a member of MoveOn to help stop this effort to keep �Fahrenheit 9/11� from making it to screens across the country. If a theater in your area is planning to show the film, just give them a call and thank them for standing up for the freedom of speech. If your local theater isn't showing the film, call them and let them know that you would like to see it and you'd like them to show it.

The White House and their minions in our media have presented one distorted version of the truth after another for the past four years. All we are asking for is the right to show what they HAVEN'T shown us, the real truth. The truth that ain't pretty (and is, sadly, damningly hilarious).

On top of all this, the MPAA gave the film an "R" rating. I want all teenagers to see this film. There is nothing in the film in terms of violence that we didn't see on TV every night at the dinner hour during the Vietnam War. Of course, that's the point, isn't it? The media have given the real footage from Iraq a "cleansing" -- made it look nice, easy to digest. Mario Cuomo has offered to be our lawyer in appealing this ruling by the MPAA. Frankly, I would like to think the MPAA is saying that the actions by the Bush administration are so abhorrent and revolting, we need to protect our children from seeing what they have done. In that case, the film should be rated NC-17!

However it turns out, I trust all of you teenagers out there will find your way into a theater to see this movie. If the government believes it is OK to send slightly older teenagers to their deaths in Iraq, I think at the very least you should be allowed to see what they are going to draft you for in a couple of years.

Finally, some very sophisticated individuals have been hacking into and shutting down our website. It is an hourly fight to keep it up. We are going to find out who is doing this and we are going to pursue a criminal prosecution. I'm preparing lots of cool stuff for the site so watch for new items on it next week (www.fahrenheit911.com and www.michaelmoore.com).

Thanks again for your support and I hope to see you at the movies on opening night, June 25.

Yours,

Michael Moore

PS. I am sponsoring a number of benefits around the country next week for local and national peace and justice groups, including Military Families Speak Out and September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows. Please check your local papers and my website next week for further details.

PPS. Also, I am going to be on the �Late Show with David Letterman� on Friday night. It's on CBS at 11:35 PM Eastern and Pacific. And on Monday morning (June 21) I will be on �The Today Show� on NBC. Next week, Jon Stewart and Conan. I'd go on O'Reilly but, like a coward, he walked out on a screening we invited him to (with Al Franken just a few rows away!). I personally caught him sneaking out. Embarrassed, he tried to change the subject. He said, "When are you coming on my show?" and I said, "Turn around and watch the rest of the movie and I will come on your show." He walked out. Fair and balanced.

Posts: 21 | Registered: 14 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now I've seen everything!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,
i dont care about the petty little rules of your forum...if you feel like following and enforcing the draconian rules of your simple little forum than go right ahead....but dont expect everyone to just follow suit...
I am not going to read all the posts on this forum to figure out how wonderful each and every member is.....
I am engaging people in discussion and it is your decision to simply bad mouth me instead of replying to what i have said.....i have not seen anything but snide remarks and unfortunate assumptions about myself and anyone else you defends Moore and his right to a title that is not owned by Ray Bradbury...

posted Hide Post
Thormachine:

Once again, you make false accusations. Civil language on an author's bulletin board is hardly draconian.

You say you're not going to read every post out here -- well then, you publicize that you are willing to argue and accuse from a position of willful ignorance. Forgive me for not giving credence to your positions when you admit you refuse to do the research.

I've replied to EVERYTHING you've said. You have yet to reply to me other than to arrogantly assert you are above the rules of the board.

Again, for the 10,000th time . . . Bradbury has never said he "owned" the rights to the title. Get your facts straight, then argue.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 06-26-2004).]

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was that Moore? Seriously, was it? Not that I'm all excited about it, as if he was Bush or anything, but was it? Was it?

Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The poster, Michael, said it was from Moore's site, but not posted here by Moore. I'll take his word for it.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, if I only had a computer at home...

Thanks anyways,

cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, it sounds like Michael is almost as paranoid as Lyndon LaRouche!

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Making matters worse, Ray personally called Moore and the director never called him back.

Michael Moore is nearly impossible to reach via phone or email since "Bowling for Columbine." I used to be able to email him and get a response back from him personally. Now he has an email list of over 10 million people, and reaching him is out almost out of the question.

Add to it that Moore has beeing touring the world publicizing his movie. He may not be hanging around his phone waiting for Ray Bradbury or any number of other people to call. His assistants may not have gotten a message to him about RB. Or maybe RB never called.

It's interesting that RB actually has MM's phone number to call. You would think he would stay away from exchanging phone numbers with the devil incarnate.

Nebula1400

Posts: 3 | Registered: 30 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post