Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ray Inspired Me To Write! Anyone Else?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Inspired Me To Write! Anyone Else?
 Login/Join

posted
I picked up my first Ray Bradbury book, R is for Rocket, back in 1974. From that book forward, I became mesmerized. I went on to develop an intense love of science fiction. I know Ray has in the past refused the label as a sci-fi writer, but that's the path I followed. I picked up Asimov and Heinlein next, but my true love of writing comes from Ray.

I like to think his influence shows in my writing. His book Zen in the Art of Writing is an incredibly inspiring book, one I recommend to many. I sincerely wish I had motivated to meeting Ray over the years. Looking back, meeting Ray Bradbury would have been a pinnacle in my life.

In many ways, though, in reading his work, don't you feel you know him somewhat? I remember reading I Sing the Body Electric and wondering what human could write such incredible stories.

I feel fortunate to have writing as a passion. I feel even more fortunate to have discovered Ray at such an early age because I believe his writing influence to be one of the finest around.

Writing is a craft, something practiced and polished and placed on display. When I read the Martian Chronicles, Ray's description of the country setting back on earth conjured my senses as no writer had ever been able to do for me. I could hear and touch and smell autumn from mere words! Oh the power of words I learned from that book overwhelmed me.

Thank you Ray for incredible stories. I know I am but one of legions of fans. I cannot pick a favorite Bradbury story. Too many wondrous works to even attempt to do so.

What about you?

Author of Loves Lost and Found, Writing is Easy, Fatherhood 101, Poetry in Black and White and The Method Writers

Posts: 1 | Registered: 21 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I was writing before I heard of Ray, but count me in that he inspired me to keep writing and made me much better at it.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post