Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Happy Birthday Mr Bradbury

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy Birthday Mr Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
My mom gave me Martian Chronicles as a present in 1979 for my ninth birthday. Now i'm 40 years old and I can say my life changed because you taught me what beauty and imagination is. Happy birthday Ray. You have inspired me.

Thank you.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 22 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ramiro Sabatini:
My mom gave me Martian Chronicles as a present in 1979 for my ninth birthday. Now i'm 40 years old and I can say my life changed because you taught me what beauty and imagination is. Happy birthday Ray. You have inspired me.

That's the one that changed me, too.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always admired you RB, and collect typewriters of important authors. Recently acquired your manual typewriter and will loan it, as I do wih the other 9 in my collection, to museums and exhibits and fundraisers for aspiring journalism students. Articles about the collection google Soboroff Typewriter Collection.

Posts: 1 | Location: At Ray's manual typewriter in LA | Registered: 22 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy 91st, Ray.

When a project seems daunting, I imagine you feeding dimes into the electric typewriters in the basement at UCLA.

All the best.

Posts: 1 | Location: Santa Clarita, CA | Registered: 22 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by Ramiro Sabatini:

That's the one that changed me, too.

Same here. I was in grade six, when a smart young substitute teacher read The Martian Chronicles to our class... WHAM!

Posts: 109 | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray, you are loved. Your work changed me-- your books, your joy. Everything changed for the good when as a child I wandered into Martian Chronicles and went on from there... reading, writing, and becoming a life-traveler.

Happy birthday to you, sir. On the occasion of this birthday a few days ago, I mailed you a thank you note, a real one. I'm certain it became part of a great heap of much-deserved love-letters.

While I've sometimes forgotten the life messages hiding in plain sight in your work, I always come back to them eventually and remember.

"If you stuff yourself full of poems, essays, plays, stories, novels, films, comic strips, magazines, music, you automatically explode every morning like Old Faithful. I have never had a dry spell in my life, mainly because I feed myself well, to the point of bursting. I wake early and hear my morning voices leaping around in my head like jumping beans. I get out of bed to trap them before they escape."
— Ray Bradbury

For this and so much more, thank you!

With much love & gratitude,

Brenda Cox Giguere
San Diego, CA

Posts: 4 | Registered: 23 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post